What I've Learned about Running


Now that I've been running for over 2 months, I can officially say I'm hooked! I can REALLY say that after this past week~ since I'm running even though I still have my awful cough and today it was -4 and I still went out! Here are the Top 5 things I've learned about running!!

1. I love that it's ME time. Not only that but I'm not at home so no one can bug me. I'm not plugged into my phone- I have no music but the songs in my head (that I often sing). I pray. I think. I problem solve. This may be what I love the most...

2. I'm strong. 3 months ago I didn't think I could run a mile without stopping. I have learned that I can "Just keep running" and that feels amazing! I don't have to be the fastest but I can keep going. The more I run the stronger I feel. Weight and looking good doesn't feel as important as being able to say, "I ran 5 miles today to start my day."

3. Feeling supported is awesome! My dad is a runner and has been one of my number one cheerleaders through all of this. He's the one who told me I could do a half marathon (yup... I'm signed up for one) and he's the one I text after each run so he can see my splits. He always cheers me on and that means a lot to me. I'm thankful for my supportive family and friends!!

4. You're never too old to start. I'm 42. My dad is 72. Anyone can do this. I do take Glucosamine so my hip and knee aren't hurting anymore (so I guess if you're over the hill you may want to pick up some of that...)!

5. Wind is the worst. I have run in rain and today I ran in below zero temps. The element that I hate the most is the wind. I'm also not a fan of mountains (I have a hilly neighborhood) but hands down wind is the thing I hate the most! Yuck!!

Below are some pictures from my run today that will remind me that I CAN and I WILL be running throughout the winter!




Before

After- Snowy eyelashes!!

These things keep me from slipping. They slow me down a bit but keep me safe.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!