What a week, America!!!
Dear Joey, Ali, Zach and Sean,
It has been a HUGE week (or two) for our country and we (your dad and I) have been loving that we are able to watch it all unfold. I felt like I should write a bit about it (like I did when our country elected its first black president- also huge) just so you can read history not just in the books (or I should probably say online) but hear it from our point of view... When I think about some of the BIG changes in America's history that I have found fascinating, it would be the Civil Rights Movement and Women's Suffrage. I'm just starting my studies in Social Justice but I find it fascinating and something I want to learn about more and more! It still blows my mind that when Great-Nan was born, her mom was not allowed to even vote!?! Can you imagine?? Well, right now some people are up in arms about the changes going on, but I have to tell you that we aren't part of that group~ we are over-the-moon excited and here's why.
Sadly a while ago there was a boy (I think only 21 perhaps) who for whatever reason (though we think getting to the roots of these reasons is so important) was really angry and racist. He went to this famous black church down in SC and was welcomed in. He joined with them and they were so kind to him and then for whatever reason, he started just shooting people (I still feel sick thinking about it). He killed NINE people!! Often that when such things happen, you wonder "Why?" I have tried to make sense out of such senseless acts and wondered why but the most amazing thing happened out of all this and a "why" was perhaps seen almost immediately! This shooter who seemed to want to start a race war, seemed to do the opposite! He actually UNITED people!! There is a flag called the Confederate Flag that was used by the South during the Civil War~ Now I have to tell you that whenever your dad and I see it, we think "hate" - some say it's Southern Pride but we don't see it that way- you see, the civil war was much over the southern states wanting to leave the country because they wanted to keep their slaves. Whenever I see it, I think of all the horrible, awful things that happened during that time in our country and it makes me sick. I know it probably isn't right, but when I see people with those flags, I think differently of them and I usually try to avoid them... People say this is a "Southern Pride" thing- but we don't live in the south and still see them around here. I also don't know why you would celebrate wanting to be separate from the country OR (most importantly) why you would like to fly a flag that to so many symbolizes slavery and racism.
BUT when this sad boy went and shot up that church and killed those nine beautiful people, something happened. FIRST the families of those people FORGAVE him! How is that for amazing grace??? I read somewhere that the shooter actually thought twice about shooting because all the people were so NICE to him. If that does not show God's love, I don't know what does.
Well- to make a long blog post a little shorter those hateful flags are COMING DOWN!! Of course people can still fly them at their homes and on their cars (where I usually see them) which is actually a good thing (helps me to still know to steer clear of them). I actually very much support freedom of speech BUT~ I am so happy that our government buildings are no longer tolerating that flag of hate in THEIR houses! Well done, America!!
2. Everyone has health insurance!
A second big deal thing is health care, otherwise known as the Affordable Care Act. Now some don't like the idea that everyone can have insurance~ which I disagree with mostly because I work with children who don't have a choice in the matter and have known parents that don't want to spend money on this because they'd rather spend their money on other things- dumb! I promise you that when you get a job, insurance is probably THE most important thing you can get... HUGE!
Anyway, President Obama was working toward making sure that EVERYONE can get health care- pretty cool right? We still have the same insurance before all this stuff went down but some people (as you may remember from my election post) will not like something simply because of who supports it and I truly believe that there are MANY out there who will go against the president simply because they don't like him. There were actually some who were against the ACA and took it all the way to the Supreme Court! Thinking about the money behind this fight makes me sick. Well, the Supreme Court upheld the ACA!! The reason we think this is good is because EVERYONE can get affordable care- before if you had a condition (say cancer or something like that) and needed health care it would be A LOT more expensive. Poor people can now get health care (this is HUGE because poor people have kids who ALSO get health care now!!). I'm so happy about this. I'm sure there will be more people who will sue about this and waste a ton more money (because that's what people do) but I believe this will be around for a while and hopefully something that you will never have to think about because (like women voting) it will be something that you always remember just being the way it was~ which brings me to number three!
3. Equal Rights for EVERYONE!!
Now I've saved the biggest thing for last (and I'm also going in chronological order too)~ people who are gay now have the exact same rights as everyone else!! I really do hope that when you read this you will think, "Well... why wouldn't they?" That's what I think when I realize that just a century ago women could not vote, interracial marriage was frowned upon and more! While you'll read "We the People", in the beginning it really was just a group of privileged white men. That is changing though and now ALL people will have rights regardless of race, gender, religion and now sexual orientation. As of earlier this week, that was not the case. While sadly discrimination is still alive and well, it is usually not legal. You can't not serve someone who is black or Muslim or divorced simply because you don't want to or it goes against your religion! But- up until now you COULD do that if the person was gay! This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard and I am so disappointed that so many "Christians" feel like gay people should not be afforded the same rights as everyone else simply because of whom they love. They don't do this for people of other religions or genders (that I know of) but sexual orientation seems to really ruffle their feathers. I assume it is because they don't know any gay people (chances are they do but those people are like me with that confederate flag and know to stay away or at least don't say anything). The thing is, we have some pretty amazing friends who happen to be gay and I've met some really awesome parents raising kids (who are gay)! As a teacher, I have been able to guess many of my students who are (yes kiddos- this means it is NOT a choice like some would have you believe but the way you were wired) and I know many of my own peers that I went to school with who were. I had an easy road because I happen to fall in the majority (meaning I am heterosexual) but my friends who are gay did not have it so easy. I am hoping that when you are reading this and really comprehending the whole thing, times will have changed. People can be who they are are and won't be penalized or ridiculed for it. Sadly, bigots and racism I think will always exist- but I like to think that they are getting fewer and fewer. This nation is changing before our eyes and we're just so proud and yes- I think Jesus is happy about this too. He taught us to love. Love your neighbor (all of them- not just those neighbors just like you!).
So kiddos, congratulations! You are living in exciting times and if there is one thing we want to leave you with it is that YOU can promote change for the better. I know that you know what is right and wrong because we've had some discussions about it (at your age level of course) but what I want you to remember is it is not just the black people who fought to get equal rights but some brave white people who joined in their cause. It was not just women who fought for their rights but some men who walked alongside them. And now, it is not just gay people who were standing up to unfair laws but straight people- a lot of them- us. Always remember this:
"You don't have to be one of, to stand with."
Be the change. What would Jesus do? He'd stand with them and He'll help you stand with them too!
God Bless America!
PS. Your dad actually DID help write this!





I know you already know that I think you are AWESOME..however this really is just so amazing, your children and whom ever they share your stories with are sooo fortunate! Thank you for sharing them with all of us...You are an inspiration and a blessing! ❤
ReplyDeleteAh! Thanks lady! you have ABSOLUTELY made my night!!! <3 <3 <3 Thank you thank you thank you!
Delete