Joe's First XC Meet


So Joe was not super keen on running. He hemmed and hawed actually and I finally told him that he needed to make a choice and stick with it. He chose to run. He missed a lot of conditioning over the summer with band and an injury and I wondered how he'd do.
His first meet was a big one (as in there were many schools- I think it was 283 runners for JV- that number stands out to me for some reason...). It was only a 4K (which I hadn't heard of). Jeff and I were able to make it and so were my folks. Joe looked so strong and to be honest it looks easy for him (running probably shouldn't look easy).
He finished strong. In this picture he is kneeling down to take off his chip. We were so incredibly proud of him for running such a strong race and making up some ground after his first mile. I told him often about how proud I was which became somewhat of a joke.
He was tired but shockingly smiling. I think he liked all the praise he was getting from Papa (especially since he is the runner). When we were waiting for results to be posted his coach also came by and bragged on Joe. It was hard for him not to smile and this ego-stroking could be what he needs to stay a runner (gosh I hope he stays a runner).
He's had some injuries and after this run, his hip was pretty sore (that's a new area). Joey was on the first page of results which was pretty cool (since there were a lot of pages posted). His time was 15:44.1 and he came in 43rd. His score said >7 which means that those his place didn't count (only the first 7 count), his score did displace other runners who came after him affecting their score (YAY!). From his school, he was the 8th runner (3rd freshman) and their JV team actually won the meet which was neat. So now the kid has a time to beat (his own). I couldn't be more proud of him! Keep it up Joe (and STRETCH!).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!