Last Long Run
Well- it's less than 2 weeks until the half marathon. I had planned to do a long run (at least 10 miles) two weeks before race day. I went out that Saturday and felt great. It started to rain which was fine- then it started to rain sideways- still OK that happens. Then it started to thunder- ummm... And then by the third lightning strike I thought I'd better stop. I stopped at 6.2. Felt great but that was NOT long enough.
My boss is running the half too and knew I had to get in my last long run. I didn't want my long run one week before (and I couldn't do that anyway with a crazy busy schedule coming up). So I put in for a last minute personal day and got it! (YAY!). I got the Littles on the bus, laced up my shoes and was off.
Things were going well until at about six and a half miles when I got REALLY thirsty (which was NOT good). I literally couldn't go any further. I walked about a mile and a half home and drank a lot of water. I knew I had to finish so went back out to run another four. With all that water on my belly I didn't feel well and ended up walking a bit more than I wanted to. So I got it done but not the way I envisioned. I think what I've learned from all this is it's different to run in this warmer weather. Hydrating is MUCH more important than I thought and I also need to make sure I have something in my tummy like chews but not too much. This last run actually made me more nervous for the half but at the end of the day even if I have to stop, I know I can start up again and cross that finish line!
Comments
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!