Visiting Great-Nan in the Hospital
My Nan went into the hospital on Tuesday, Dec. 16th. Sadly, she's still there. It's that wonderful heart of hers that seems to be causing all the problems. The heart issues (congestive heart failure and a-fib) caused her to retain a lot of water- including around her lungs. She was really congested, her BP was REALLY high and on top of everything else, she had a UTI!
She's been sleeping A LOT and not eating much. Despite that, she has had a few good days (or moments in those days). I called my mom's cell phone to check on my Nan and NAN answered the phone! I was afraid at first because I had expected my mom and thought it was her and something happened. It was just my Nan and once she cleared her throat, we had a good laugh.
My mom was out of the room and we didn't know that my Nan knew how to answer a cell phone! She sounded so wonderful and alert (she has dementia, so OFTEN complains about being confused). It felt so good to laugh with her and my mom together. If there is one thing my Nan has always had, it's a wonderful sense of humor!
Since it was a good day (and we were going to the hospital anyway for Holiday HUGS) I took the troops to visit her. They each made her a card and she LOVED them!!
We tried to get a group picture but of course THIS GUY had to hide under the table. It was on wheels which I think made it appealing... We did eventually get one of all of us (top).
I have had a few more visits with Nan after this visit. Ali and I went after the Michigan game and I also went and saw her on my birthday. She's just so tired. She's been on my mind constantly. My mom has been there all day- every day (except Christmas Eve and Christmas where she only spent a few hours and then came home with us).
I'm glad that we had this time with her. I laughed because Z didn't add any color to his card because she's "used to things in black and white." I got him explaining it again in his own words... below!
I'm glad that the kids were able to visit with her. I pray she is doing better now.
ReplyDelete