Christmas Eve (and also happens to be my birthday)


 My Birthday has changed so much over the years.  I suppose that has much to do with the fact that I'm getting older- but I think more so it is because it falls on a holiday- a holiday where my husband and kids are usually busy and therefore... I'm busy!
I woke up to lots of hugs, kisses and love and Jeffy ran out and got me a yummy bagel!  The kids got me some sweet cards and presents (Jeff had to tell Z that he is NOT allowed to put December birthday presents in Christmas bags and it best to probably stay away from the colors red and green next time).  Ali folded clothes (an AWESOME present) and Jeff got me a ROOMBA!!!  Oh my gosh, it is my new favorite thing!!!
Jeff had to be at church first so he was off and Sean and I made the cookie dough (for later).  As soon as he was done, we were off to church for the first of two services.
 The services were real-life Bethlehem.  The Littles were all in it.  Joe Cool got to hang out with his friend, Ryan (and actually was pretty excited about what was going on in church... so much so that he stayed for TWO services because he wanted to).
 I left after dropping off the kids and went to see my Nan who was still in the hospital.  She hadn't been eating much, but on my birthday she ate almost a whole grilled cheese (one of her favorites).  I stayed there perhaps a bit too long and then drove home in the (sob) rain. If only it was a few degrees cooler...
 My dad came and picked me up to go to church because the engine light had come on in my van (lovely).  I checked the mail while I was waiting for him and got this sweet card in the mail from one of my fabulous first graders.  It absolutely made my day!  What fun!! I also had over 200 Facebook messages, calls and texts which made me feel very special!
 Church was great.  Ryan's sister, Dana, played the violin and had me crying on Silent Night (it always is a special night to remember God's gift to the world- but add that music and WOW!).  After the service, the kids "experienced" the shops and got dreidels, rolls, head-dresses and more.
After church, we headed to Johnny Carrino's which has turned into a tradition for us. My friend manages the restaurant and while I didn't see her, she left us a nice table and a big balloon for me!  We had a delicious dinner and I loved being able to exhale (enjoy a glass or two of wine) and sit.
 After dinner it was back home to do more baking (I may have to change this tradition because I was tired!!).  The cookies were absolutely delicious!!! After they were cooled the kids decorated them (while checking on Santa's whereabouts of course).




After cookies were ready for Santa, it was off to make the reindeer dust!  We use oatmeal and glitter.  The glitter helps the reindeer find our house and they were able to nibble on the oats while they waited for Santa.
I had tall boots on when I went out in public so no one saw my festive socks (except for any neighbors who may have been peeking out their windows while the kids were dropping their dust).
I have never seen the kids so anxious to go to bed.  We talked them into staying up and watching the cartoon of "The Grinch who Stole Christmas."  Still they were in bed quite early and very nervous that we were still downstairs.  Although the day was busy, we were able to sit and think about how blessed we truly are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!