Decorating at Great-Nan's


The Bigs know that when we are done decorating for holidays at our house, we aren't 'done'... it just means we head over to Great-Nan's to do some more decorating! I've said before that my children are my Nan's best medicine and every time we go over there I realize it more and more. The truth is that she remains a bit forgetful and though physically she is doing pretty well, we don't take her out anymore (to Church, shopping...) because she gets quite confused when she is out of her environment. So we just go to her!
Her memory is an odd thing... Other than that day when she was recovering from her hip surgery, she has not forgotten who I am. But though she sees her little friends often, she sometimes forgets their names. Because of this, my mom has put up reminders in her house. While she may not remember Sean's name, she will remember his birthday and that he shares it with my Grandpa Jonasen. It isn't what she forgets that surprises me, it is what she remembers... It seems her long term memory isn't bad so it is my intention to sit down with her and have her tell her story into a tape recorder or something so I can document it (here) and have an oral recording for my children to have. I always treasured the stories my Nana and Papa would share. And though I have them in my mind, I need to write it for my own children (and their children, and their children's children).
The Bigs love going to Great-Nan's and they helped my mom and dad get boxes out of storage while Sean and I stayed back with my Nan. She loves watching him and though it was getting near his bedime, he was a bit interested in all the new boxes coming into her apartment. There is no way one can sleep with all that activity going on!
The kids went right to work. Though I put the tree together, they did all the decorating. Ali Jane and Joe also went right to work on the nativity, putting all the players in their positions. They also got out other decorations and remembered right where I had put things in the past. They put everything in it's 'place' and worked together beautifully.
And of course my Nan has a little village (though not the Department 56 variety that my mom and I have). Joe was so excited to organize a village all by himself! The kids ran and played and the whole place was full of life and laughter and there are few things in this world that sound as sweet to me as my grandmother's laugh. I think it will be a Merry Christmas indeed (though it probably won't be a silent night... which isn't too bad)!

Comments

  1. That is just so sweet of you. I can only imagine her delight in having all of you over to decorate. You should do that taping, it would be wonderful to have that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!