Christmas Day!



We woke up on Christmas morning to Ali Jane screaming, "He was here!" It was hard to make out exactly what she was saying at first, she was talking so fast. I asked her to slow down, and tell me again (with my camera in hand) as a sleepy Z wondered what all the fuss was about. It wasn't long before the whole house was up and we were downstairs. The stockings came first and Santa did well with the slinkies. Sean loved his and it did keep him busy and happy (until he walked over some boxes and tripped and scratched himself). There is never a dull day in our house- especially on Christmas!In Joe's stocking he found a note from Santa. It said that Artie told him that he (Artie) found something while at our house and that Santa thought Joe would want it and to look under the other Christmas tree. When Joe came back he was so excited! It was his DS! He had lost it a while ago but was afraid to tell me about it because we had had such a serious talk about it back when he got it last summer. Needless to say, with the stockings and the presents and the note from Santa about the DS, Joe was on cloud nine before we even started! He also insists he heard Santa's "Ho ho ho" in the middle of the night and he may be right since Jeff claims he heard sleigh bells!
It was very obvious which presents under our tree were from Santa. Back when Joey was three, he went to see Santa and when Santa asked what Joey wanted, he said he wanted a blue present. After some time Santa realized that Joe didn't really care what was in the present, as long as it was blue. And so began the tradition that when Santa brings Joe a present, it is wrapped in blue wrapping paper (and because Ali Jane's favorite color was pink, she got a pink present).
We found it funny this year when Z went to see Santa that he asked him for a 'yellow' present- not caring what was inside it... I have no idea how it came to be that both these boys would care more about the wrappings at Christmas than the gift, but it sure was funny and Z was so excited to see that not only was the wrapping yellow, but so was the gift! Santa brought Z a yellow submarine AND a yellow helmet with a flashlight on it.
On Christmas morning it takes us a bit to get through all the presents because we take our time with each one and sometimes the kids even start playing with their gifts before going on to open another. I love this about our Christmases but I also love (as mentioned before) the gifts the Bigs get for others. Joe really put thought into his gifts this year and because Jeff is one of the Worship Leaders at church and loves to sing, he got him a microphone so he could sing all the time! Jeff loved it!
Though our kids get along very well most days... (they've had 'sleepovers' in someone's room since school got out), nothing compares to how they get along on Christmas morning. They hug, tell each other (very sincerely) how much they love the gifts they were given and you hear a lot of pleases and thank yous and I love yous! Sometimes it is hard to tell who gave the gift and who received it because they are excited not just to get presents, but to give them as well.
As promised, here is the present that Ali Jane got Jeff for Christmas (and Danny has the same one only in red...) Sure it may look like an ordinary beautiful Christmas tie, but it is NOT! This tie actually plays music when you press the button! I think it was beautiful and went well with Jeff's "Santa hat". Talk about getting your money's worth! Ali Jane doesn't just go for looks, but for function (smart shopper, just like her mama!)!
Later in the afternoon we went over to my parents to celebrate Christmas. It was fun to get everyone together. The kids were very grateful for all of their gifts and when Joey got a Michigan Football costume (complete with pads) it reminded me of one that Danny got many Christmases ago when we were back in Elementary school. It was a great Christmas- I got Jeff an iPod Touch for all his music (the big one so it will hold everything) and he got me my Kindle! I absolutely love it! I am reading Great Expectations and have some more books on there just waiting for me!
In the evening we sat down to a yummy turkey dinner. I made my Nan's sweet potato balls. I am not a fan of sweet potatoes but she showed me how to make them a few years back and so I have taken on her tradition of making them. I am always nervous because there are no 'measurements'- a little crushed pineapples, some butter, brown sugar... etc- I hold my breath while I wait for people to eat them but they all loved them (at least those that like sweet potatoes did- like I said, I am not a fan)!

Not everyone was at dinner though. Z fell asleep and so he missed out on dinner. He and Sean haven't had much sleep lately because their naps have been interrupted by travel and visits. We just let him sleep which was fine. With all the cookies and sweets he filled up on, I don't think he was too hungry anyway!
After dinner we played games (while my sister-in-law napped... she may be tired because she is once again 'creating life' and that is not easy- especially during the busy holidays), and watched the kids play with toys. One of the gifts my mom got my cousin was a picture frame and so we all posed for pictures in hopes to get one of the whole family. You be the judge on which one truly represents us... Merry Christmas!



Comments

  1. What a beautiful Christmas you had. Each moment filled with so much joy and so many presents. Sean looks so cute in his little plaid pajamas. Love the family group photos.
    I also love the color of the gifts. What color are Sean's gifts? The videos are adorable.
    Thank you for sharing your Christmas day.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!