A Pig Tale...
Ali Jane was cleaning her room when she climbed on her dresser. Out the window she could see her dad's new grill, so she called for Zach to show him. While she was pulling him up to get a better look, the piggy bank that I had made her went crashing to the floor and broke. Soon after, Joe walked in and she quickly gathered up the pieces of her piggy and hid them. She explained to Joe what had happened and begged him not to tell. What did Joe do? Went straight to his dad to tell on his sister. What did Jeff do? Told Joe that telling on his sister when she asked him not to was not a nice thing to do. And then- told Ali that she should not be climbing on her dresser- breaking the piggy was an accident- and now it was time to tell mom...
So he hands the phone back to our little girl who was still choking back sobs.
"Ali? Did you break your pig?"
"Uh... (sob) huh... (sob)"
"Was it an accident?"
"Uh... (sob) huh... I (sob) am (sob) sorry!"
"Ali. I forgive you. And I love you. I know it was an accident and you didn't mean for it to happen. Let's go to the store and we can get some new pigs and I will make them for everyone."
Though I could still hear her hicuppy breathes, I could tell that she was finally understanding that her five-year-old-life was not over... nor was her mom's love for her. She realized it was going to be OK and that made me smile.
A few days later we went and I purchased supplies. I was having a real tough day. I mean real bad. One of those days when you feel like you are choking and don't know what to do. (Perhaps a little like Ali Jane felt that day she made the phone call.) Rather than a walk, or a glass of vino, I took to drawing to calm my feelings. I used to make these piggy banks and sell them at craft shows. I had made quite large ones for my kids to use as examples which they used to hold their money. Because they were all quite little when I made their pigs, I just chose the designs I wanted to draw. This time they told me what they wanted on their pigs and I drew and reflected on what was really important in life. Sometimes all you have to do is pause, surround yourself with those around you who fill you up and find your breath. Ah... the things you can learn from a pig tale... ('Tis times like these when you learn sometimes those little gnats in your life may be driving you crazy at the moment, but this too shall pass. The loves... well... they stay forever.)
They are beautiful. Amazing job, Laura. *Hugs* to you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great lesson. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteSometimes things happen for a reason (not everything)and she learned a very special lesson on love & forgiveness. Those banks are adorable and I am sure that she will really treasure this one.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend.
I loved how you handled the whole thing!!!!! And the piggies look really nice!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great mom...lots of lessons here! Hugs to all, Grandma Judy
ReplyDeleteLook at you girl!!!! Those are too darn cute! You are such a great mama!
ReplyDeletexoxo