
Well, today was the day! The first day of the first grade (for me and Joe) and the first day of kindergarten for Ali Jane. Joe had a wonderful day, I am purely exhausted (I could write a book on that alone), but it is my dear Ali Jane that I will be focusing on today. (More on that in a bit.)
My parents saved the day yet again. My dad took the littles to get Joe on the bus because kindergartners go to school with their parents- or if you are the child of two teachers- their grandparents...

Ali Jane was quite excited to ride the bus, but I assured her the night before that she would be riding home on the bus with Joe and that Daddy would be waiting for her to hear all about her day.
(A quick side... Zach has decided he wants to go to kindergarten now too and had a mini- or perhaps it was a major- meltdown when he couldn't get on the bus with Joe.)

Ali Jane was so excited to get to school and she knew just where to go. She was thrilled to have the same teacher that Joe had last year. Just two days ago, I spied Joe going through his old kindergarten books, teaching Ali Jane, her asking questions... My goodness it was adorable! This girl is practically ready to TEACH kindergarten!

And I couldn't be more thrilled that she is in this wonderful teacher's class! Ali calls her teacher "
Malanc" now (it was
Balanc) and I had to chuckle because not only is that NOT her teacher's last name, she doesn't even get a "Mrs." for a title.

When I came home from work, the first thing Ali Jane told me was that she "didn't step on
Malanc's words at all" and she "stayed 'green" all day. (Thankfully I know this managing system from last year so followed her quite well.) Balanc read one of her favorite books and Al was excited to have a new friend who has a wheelchair and this walker that is "super cool." (I love that she can comment on walkers since she visits Great-Nan so much and sees her walker and the walkers of all her friends.) She also said she met some friends in other classes too.

Thankfully the next part of what I am going to write about was the THIRD thing that Ali Jane reported about the day. Of course this has been on my mind and will continue to be my memory for years to come. After watching the L
ittles all day, my mom stuck around to watch Jeff get the
Bigs off the bus, take pics and hear about the excitement of the first day of school...

The only problem (and perhaps you can see from Jeff's body language as he sees his son get off the bus) was that Ali Jane did NOT come off the bus because she wasn't ON the bus! That's right folks... they put my baby on the WRONG BUS! Jeff was on the phone with the school within moments and when I was told the story I didn't know whether to throw-up or just sink down and cry...

Of course by then I knew that Ali Jane was safely in our home. She had been put on another bus and didn't seem to mind one bit that she was the last one off the bus. The bus driver pulled right up to her driveway, was very nice and she had a great day!
Me on the other hand... well my baby got on the WRONG BUS, and I am remembering how purely exhausting it is to teach Littles. I love them already though and think I will be very skinny by year's end... (I sat at my desk for only about 5 minutes while I called to check on my Littles and eat my sandwich) and now... the vino is calling my name! (Thank God I'm not pregnant this year!)
Wow, LD, such a day! It reminded me of Jilly's 1st day of 1st grade when SHE didn't come home on the bus, either! The bus stopped & no Jilly. That's a sinking feeling, for sure. Loved your story. Love how you can read Jeff's body language in that pic, too. Glad everyone survived & ultimately had a good day. Thought of you a lot today. <3
ReplyDeleteEd's Kindergarteners were in question at WL El this am, as no one met the Kdg. getting off the bus... and applying tags with bus #, so it'd be easy for them to find the right bus for the ride home.... oh, oh... somebody must have goofed at more than 1 school this am!!
ReplyDeleteOh man! This is so funny! They say it happens but you never really hear about it! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteEmma got on the wrong bus one year too. It's so scary as a parent and yet the children seem unconcerned. Fortunately they learn quickly and don't repeat their mistakes.
ReplyDeleteWhat a scare that was. OMG I would have been a wreak and I would do the vino too! So glad that the rest of the day went so well for them.
ReplyDeleteIt must be hard to be a little and not get on the bus :( You are so blessed to have such wonderful parents. I want to be that wonderful parent sitting for my grands!
That is a day you will never forget. Ali Jane looks like she enjoyed her longer bus ride. When my nephew was in kindergarden he fell asleep on the bus and missed his stop. He was so small nobody noticed. He did eventually make it home. lol
ReplyDeleteTake that drink!! A good day besides the mix up. I remember one time I fell asleep on the bus and ended up back in the bus garage! WHen my sis got off the bus my mom asked her where I was and she said she didn't know. Made my mom a little frantic!
ReplyDelete