My Marty (Surgery Day)
Marty is my mama's boy! He always has to sit next to me on the couch and will whine and cry until Jeff moves over to make room. I love Marty with all my heart and the hardest thing about being a dog mom is them getting older.
Marty is lumpy and bumpy and I always ask the vet about that and so far they have been nothing but THIS tumor was different. I got the call when we were in Kentucky that it WAS cancer (soft tissue sarcoma) and without asking cost or anything- I asked when we could schedule surgery to get it out of him!
We scheduled surgery ASAP, but then had to reschedule because it was later in the day and as mentioned, Marty is a vocal boy. In addition to telling people that HE is the one who sits next to mom, he also regularly tells dad when it's time to eat and there was no way he was going to not eat when he got up. The second surgery date was first thing and so we were off.
It was hard. I'm not going to lie. I cried and realized we were in the same room where we said goodbye to Pele'~ but I knew this would be different and that Marty would be coming home. The surgery itself was a bit tricky but she was able to get it all. She was unable to get the very large tumor on his back though. It doesn't have cancer and doesn't seem to bother him so it was find to let it be.
Marty has quite the incision but I was thrilled that instead of wearing a donut, he could wear a onesie regularly that would keep him from it. That onesie cost $44 bucks which seems a rip-off but was MUCH better than a donut! I couldn't wait to get back up to the hospital to pick up our baby. Jeff drove and I sat with Marty in the back seat.
And so, I am now mom and nurse and very happy to be spending every waking moment (and sleeping moment) next to my favorite patient who will now (hopefully) live a much longer life.

Comments
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!