The Making of the Halloween Costumes

 So I LOVE that the kids are still into doing a "family" costume even if they don't always "treat" in it. (Al changed costumes last year and this year also made her own- which this crafty mama loved!). This year the gang decided to go as the cartoon we watch every Halloween which seemed fitting!
I bought the hat (of the character no one knows) and 4 sheets at Walmarts for $5 each. They only had 3 flat sheets left so I had to get those and one fitted sheet. I had Z model his. He wore a hat and I pinned the sheet to it to keep it in place. Then I cut out the eyes and found some old mesh I had and glued it on with old dance glue.
You could see very easily through it! (And in that picture in the background you can see how Joey was painting the front door).  I was so excited how Z's came out. I used some of the paint we use on the door to outline the eyes and it turned out awesome!
Next was Joey's costume. He was going as Charlie Brown. I cut and did the mesh on his eyes and then used paint we had to paint a bunch more circles. You couldn't really tell the difference of the real eyes and the circles I painted!
Seany was Pig-Pen and he helped with his costume. All we did was the eyes and then just painted dirty lines all over it! I loved that he got to help with it. I think he did too!
Ali's Lucy mask was fun! I found a "Jason" mask at the dollar store and bought a witch's nose and chin. I hot glued them on the mask and then painted it. I only had acrylic paint in green and white so it took forever to dry. I didn't want to spend money, so I used it!
I also found an old witch's hat in the basement and when I put them together I knew it would work! This is when I started getting real excited!
I finished painting Al's mask and was happy with the way it turned out! Again- the fact that it was under $5 was the best!
I wasn't sure if this would work but since Lucy's hat was red I took some tempera paints I had in the basement and painted the hat. At first it didn't work but I did more coats until it worked!
Ali got the fitted sheet and a wig we had and suddenly she was Lucy! I love the way it turned out!!
Jeff was Linus in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin! I just painted stripes on a shirt using tempera paint. Worked!
This is the one thing that wasn't great but it was funny- I got a bald cap and hot glued yarn on to look like Linus' hair! It looked weird but I think you have to go big or go home and again- not expensive!!
My costume was the one thing I bought- this dress came from Amazon and I actually really like it (it was under $30)- When I tried it on I hadn't ironed it yet- I used the belt to put in Sally's hair and loved the way the wig flipped in the back! I'm so excited for Halloween!
Stay tuned for Marty!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!