Top 10 in 2016


So what a year we had! There was much sadness in 2016... A lot of famous people I grew up with passed away~ George Michael, Prince, David Bowie and Carrie Fisher to name just a few! We also had that election which brought out a lot of ugliness. So I am very happy to see 2016 go but with it we got a lot of great things including new friends and new grades (for me too). It was hard to choose just 10 (and I actually chose 11). Honorable mentions go to: fun concerts, games, WMU Rowing the Boat, having a teenager, hair donations from me and Al, Jeff playing for Money at the Glengary Inn and all the great sports seasons the kids had. But I did pick the following top 10 (in no particular order except that last one...). To read in more detail, just click on the the number/ heading.

1. Singing to my Nana. I can't put into words what this moment meant to me. I think it may have been the highlight of the year. I have missed my Nana who has been stolen by dementia. We got a glimpse of her old self through the music and for that I will always be grateful to God.
2. Music Men. All of our boys took to the stage this year. The Littles were in plays/musicals at their elementary and then they joined Joe at his middle school! Joe had an important part in the musical and we were so proud of him! He was awesome!
3. We got to take TWO vacations again (always a highlight). Z got lost in the Sleeping Bear Dunes and my baby brother and his fam joined our annual MB trip which was a blast!!
4. Jeff's bike accident. Jeff was mountain biking with Joe when he hit a patch of soft sand going pretty fast and flew off his bike. Thankfully he only broke one bone but now he can't say he's "all original parts" anymore. He's doing better and back to floor hockey and throwing discs (I probably should have mentioned disc golf since he loves that too).
5. Trip to Nashville. Al and I road-tripped it to Nashville for the National Dance Competition. It was an intense ten days where, shockingly, they won the best dance for 12 and under (there was lots of great competition)!! We were all so proud of them. I love watching Al dance!
6. First Filling. The first Doran got a cavity and it was the Goose. He did great! I got my first cavity in third grade too. It also was my LAST cavity so hopefully Z's teeth will be following in my "toothtsteps" (and also won't need braces...). ;-)
7. Farewell Elementary. Al graduated 5th grade and it was a big year of growing for her. She really came into her own and learned to cope with anxiety and (hopefully) value herself. We're so proud of how far she's come. She "ROCKS" and she (and others in the know) will get why I put "rocks" in quotes. Love you, Al!
8. Marty turned one. Marty turned one and had a fun party with three of his sibs which was a blast! He also met a new girlfriend/ neighbor named Ellie May that we'd see everyday in the summer. Now that it's colder and darker, we take the sidewalks on our two mile walks. I can't wait for summer again!
9. Hugh Todd was born! Jodi gave Jack a little brother! Huey is adorable! Jodi is exhausted and I'm exhausted for her. I don't remember those early years with my two who were 15 months apart but somehow I got through it and I know she will too! Love those boys!
10. Two wheels for Seany. We FINALLY took off the training wheels and Sean took off (probably should have done it last year). Sean LOVES his bike and we went on many neighborhood bike rides!!
11. Andrew's 13th birthday. This year, I asked people to do something kind "Because of Andrew" and they did! I was overwhelmed (in a good way) with the out-pouring of kindness and love done in his name. I hope we have begun a wonderful tradition. I can't wait until next year!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!