Poor Joe
Joe and I went to the orthodontist today. Joey was under the impression that his braces were coming off (since that is what they told him and Jeff last time).
When he came out (not too long after he went in), Joe was quiet and I could tell something was wrong. I looked at him and asked if he was OK and he showed me his teeth. Blue rubber-bands... braces still there. I could tell he was so disappointed and trying hard not to cry.
I asked about it and the lady said next appointment he will be there for 40 minutes and he'll get them off and impressions for his retainer. Gosh I hope they're sure this time...
We had talked prior to the appointment about getting lots of taffy and gum for him but that will now have to wait. I did my best to cheer him up. I suggested lunch, asked him if he wanted a special dinner (pizza would be fine, I guess....). Nothing seemed to help cheer him up. I even asked if he wanted to hit the dollar store for some locks (he'll need to know how to open one for middle school). At first he said no, but after a while he said we could go.
We got two (to try different combos) and Joe picked out a non-sticky candy (kit-kat). After a few tries back home, he got the hang of the locks, enjoyed his chocolate and was all smiles again.
He WILL get his braces off at his next appointment. They wanted him to come in the first day of school (Um... No...) but I backed it up to his birthday (which I always take off anyway- for my appointments and to spend time with Andrew at his garden). So I suspect Joe will have a good birthday and I also know what some of his presents will probably be... (gum... taffy...)
That sounds like it will be the perfect day for him to have them taken off! Glad his spirits got better as the day went on.
ReplyDelete