Sean's First Day (at a new school)
So I had mentioned in a previous post about Sean's scratch on his face and how it may become a post... and now it has. I had noticed that at Sean's (old) school that there were a few students that seemed a bit active (you can read between the lines of my 'teacher' language~ I won't go into detail). One little boy (in particular) scratched Sean's face near his eye (which is still there and I'm hoping doesn't scar). We understood that accidents happened but when the same boy left a much larger scratch on the other side of his face (again near his eye), we knew we needed to do something.
I talked to the director and (to make a long story short) we pulled Sean and were on the look out for a new place for Sean to go to preschool. I was disappointed because I liked the play-based feel of his old school, but now I realize that this all happened for a reason (I usually hate that phrase). We have found a new school (which also has exploration and play) for Sean and things are going great!
I checked out the school first on my own and then sent Jeff to check it out when he was off school (before Thanksgiving) with Sean. Their visit went great! Sean made a new friend (Owen) and didn't want to leave. Because of that, I went back on Monday (when I was off school) with the kids to get him signed up. When we peeked in his classroom, Sean took off his coat, hung it up and jumped right in with the other kids. I felt like crying, I was so happy! He was a bit bummed that I made him leave with me (I took the four kiddos to lunch and then shopping).
His first "real" day was today. Again, the drop off went perfect! Sean stopped so I could snap a picture with him with his teacher and of course gave me some "sugar" (a kiss) before I left. His teacher asked if she could call and give me an update around 1:30 when the kids were sleeping. I was thrilled with this and while I couldn't answer the phone (because I was teaching), I was able to listen to her voicemail later to learn that he was doing great!
When I picked him up, she gave me the lunch menu (they provide lunch and he ate everything including his veggies!!!), a half sheet of details about him, a sheet with pictures and a little narrative of what he did, a newsletter and a calendar of fun upcoming events! I can't tell you how relieved and positive this experience has been. In the car, Sean talked about his day and what he did (the book he read, what he did outside... etc). He was a chatterbox! The moral... don't be afraid of change, Laura. I'm thankful for my time at the old school but moving on was clearly what Sean needed.The next chapter in life is always better than the one that preceded it. Looking forward to hearing more about Sean's adventures in this newest chapter!
Sean's teacher looked so young to me (lucky gal), but she actually has a 5th grader and a kindergartner.
She was so kind and helpful and made this day so much easier (for me!).
I've also met the directors and some of the other teachers (who are all very kind and friendly).


I'm thrilled that he is so happy! Can't wait to hear about all his adventures at his new "school",
ReplyDelete