The LONG Drive Home...
It was sad knowing we were leaving and I wish that we could stay longer (especially with the weather finally getting warmer). We packed up the cars gave my folks huge hugs and thank yous and were off. Jeff and I stopped at a McDonald's for coffee, tea and oatmeal and they didn't have tea!! I was surprised since they usually only have a Lipton bag and hot water anyway, but oh well. This world wasn't made for us non-coffee drinking gals. We were just happy to be back on the road and making good time.
That is until we hit some traffic... or should I say a huge parking lot in Tennessee! After the nonsense we drove down in it was hard not to just throw up your hands and laugh. I was proud of Jeff for just sighing and realizing it is what it is... We weren't going anywhere anytime soon. Cars were getting stuck trying to cross the median and we weren't taking any chances.
We sat in the parking lot for over an hour (I think... I didn't look at the time when we first stopped). People were out of their cars running to use the bathroom in the trees (thankfully no one in our car had to 'go'). A truck driver told me that there was an overturned truck blocking both northbound lanes and that his dispatcher was saying that it would be after noon (still an hour away) until it got cleared. My parents were further behind us and were able to cross the median. My friend, Lynn was also sending me text updates about the mess we were in. Ugh~ at least it was a sunny day...
The kids were out of their belts and though we didn't want to start a movie until after lunch we decided to keep the peace and put a movie on (we've broken all screen and food rules this vacation anyway...). Since the car was off (and we weren't about to drain the battery and make matters worse), we put a movie in the computer and they all enjoyed it.
The kids didn't seem to mind too much and eventually our car started to roll a bit. We were thinking that perhaps this would happen... perhaps we'd get to see Pele', Cobi and Morty sometime that day!!
We got up to 5mph at times and eventually got a pretty view. This didn't impress Jeff too much as he is NOT one for road trips (and our luck with them as of late). We were going slow but steady and finally saw what was keeping us stopped for so long. I'm hoping the driver was OK. According to what Lynn sent me, the wreck happened at 9:50 and was reported to clear at 12:50. We got through a little before that time (but not much).
The rest of the time wasn't exactly 'smooth' sailing but close. We played letter games and answered family feud questions and the kids got in another movie... Like the way down, we only made two stops for bathroom and gas and to grab food and eat in the car. Sean was driving me nuts getting his arms out of the top part of his car seat. He kept saying, "I want to go hooome!" over and over and I can now happily report that we are...
Home. Sweet. Home.
Another wonderful vacation in the books. Feeling blessed!
Thanks Mom & Dad!



Thankfully you had things to keep the kids occupied. It took me over two hours to get to bowling on Tuesday because of an accident. It is never fun when that happens but I try to be thankful for the blessings we have. My husband gets so made and all I can feel is sadness for those involved. Glad you made it home safely.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness two hours is terrible!!! Jeff is just like your husband and gets upset... then I point out the things to be thankful for (like the sun was out, Sean wasn't screaming at the moment...) and that makes it more bearable! <3
Delete