Day 4: For the Birds!


 On Tuesday, we decided to check out some birds that had come to our resort from a place called, "Parrot Mountain."  We had front row seats (we sat on the floor) and the kids were very interested in what they saw.  The man brought four birds with him and after he talked a bit, he let everyone hold a bird if they wanted to.
When he was done teaching everyone about birds he explained that now people could hold the birds, Z went right on over to the birds to take them off their perches himself.  He was a bit embarrassed when the man told him to wait and since we had front row seats for the 'talk', I took Al and Z to the back of the line to give others a turn first.
Joe and Sean didn't get in line with us (partly because Sean couldn't wait in that line).  Since we were last, Joe and Sean did join the Middles and got to hold birds too.  The one on Sean's shoulder is called a "Pocket Parrot" and a bird I now (REALLY) want (I may have to take up a collection)... They literally like to hang out in pockets or purses and can talk but don't make the noise or mess of the bigger birds.
 A lady in front of us in line was telling us all about Parrot Mountain (where the man who brought the birds was from) and said it was an excellent experience and we should go.  The reviews were all good except for those complaining that it wasn't good for people who are handicapped (which is true... when they said "Mountain" they meant MOUNTAIN and I was praying a little as Jeff drove us up the mountain to see the birds).
My dad stayed back with Seany, while the rest of us went to check out the birds.  It was much cooler than I thought it would be.  The people put birds all over us so we could take a family picture and we had fun feeding all sorts of birds. Ali didn't have a problem with them putting the birds on her but when it came to feeding them, she passed.
My mom had fun too and it was funny when this little bird climbed up on her shoulder.  We also saw little baby birds in the nursery (including a Pocket Parrot... sob!) and learned even more in there.  The lady who takes care of the babies was really kind and very informative.
There was another area where they gave you this little cup (I'm assuming of sweet water) to hold and when you go into where the birds are housed they literally go crazy for it!  Joe, my mom and I all decided to feed these birds and after a while, I think Joe was so overwhelmed he dropped his cup (I can hardly blame him).  I couldn't believe how much these guys loved their drink and gobbled it down.  Afterward we went to a gift store and got the 3 Bigs each a stuffed animal bird (we told them they could get one thing this vacation and this was their choice).  It turned out to be a great buy because when we got back that night (and the next morning) they had set up "Parrot Island" complete with a bird nursery and feeding area.  We all visited and learned a lot about the different birds (little angry birds toys the kids had and plastic Easter Eggs served as the nursery).  It was fun and reminded my how really creative my kids can be.

We've been eating one meal out a day and this time were in the mood for some bar-b-que so checked out a place called, "Calhoun's."  Joe was not excited about it (as he hasn't been excited to go to any restaurants for some reason), BUT... he had some ribs and decided they were pretty good (second only to his dad's, which made Jeff happy).
The kids all gobbled down their food and even Sean ate everything (which was nice).  On our way out, Ali (who had been giving Z piggy-back rides), fell with Z on her back which caused some commotion.  Thankfully, Z did survive and was able to walk again.  I was worried that if he was hurt he wouldn't be able to go to the pool anymore.  Thankfully my worries helped cure him.
In the evenings, we've had fun playing games (Go-Fish, Old-Maid and Battleship).  Even though it isn't as warm as I'd like, it's going to be hard to go home...

We have a lot more pictures from Parrot Mountain that I put in a video.


Comments

  1. That was definitely for the birds....I can't believe it! I would have loved that. Looks like a fun time. Sounds like your having a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful week! Thanks Debby! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!