A Visit to Great-Nan's
Perhaps I should preface this post with a quick back-story. Joe lost his baseball glove for his game on Wednesday and the last time we thought we saw it was when he was playing catch with Sean (the day before) at Ali's game and got caught in a down-pour. We assumed they dropped their gloves and ran for the car. We found Sean's glove in lost and found but no Joe's glove, so Joe was busted! Grounded from almost everything. Gloves are very expensive... especially lefties! I clean-sweeped his room meaning removed all toys, books and paper (except for his bible and journal) and had chores for him to do every day to pay for a new glove.
Thankfully for him, his brother happened to find it (as Jeff and Joe were going to the store to buy a new one), dirty and soaked at the bottom of Joe's favorite climbing tree. He's still in trouble, but not quite as much.
Ali happened to come home sick on Thursday (a flu that began two weeks ago in our house finally made it to her). Thankfully if it played out the way it did for her brothers, we knew she'd be out only a day. So she missed her game and both she and Joe missed a fun night at Great-Nan's (Joe was busy picking up dog-doo). So the Littles and I piled into the car and headed down the road.
They had yummy treats, a clown, a magician and a DJ. Neither of the Littles were afraid of the clown (I think clowns are creepy). Z got a turtle (or perhaps more appropriate, a tortoise), and Sean got a dinosaur which in a matter of moments he transformed into a long, plain balloon.
Sean and Nan were enjoying a dessert when a little old lady came to me and said, "You know that has liquor in it don't you!" I didn't, but figured it was a small enough (for both Sean and Nan). I was surprised because I thought the last thing that old, forgetful, people should have is alcohol. Maybe that's what they should have though...
My mom of course came up too and it was great to get a picture of her and Nan together. I love these two ladies! My mom is usually behind the camera and not letting me take pictures of her. I told her I wanted a picture of her and her mom. I'm glad she allows some now. She's a beautiful lady, they both are!
We were all hanging out at the table when suddenly Sean went CRAZY! I mean hysterical! It reminded me of the time we were at the Whalers game and he was petrified of their mascot (a whale, which he called a shark). He saw something that scared him and wanted OUT! I looked around and couldn't see anything that would scare him, but he just screamed, "DINOSAUR!!" and went heading for the hills.
We did catch up with him, but there was no way he was going to head back to where the 'dinosaur' was. I was so confused. The only thing I could think that may have scared him was there was an older lady in a wheel chair (that had a kind of mean look on her face), with a pink balloon on her head, or perhaps a cook with a tall white hat. Nothing else resembled anything (other than a person).
So I followed Sean out to the lobby area where he was happy as a clam and made another old lady even more happy than he was. I forget how good it feels to bring my kids around people who are older. They look at them as the sweetest things around (which I sometimes don't). Sean told her his name, how old he was and there was no more mention of dinosaurs... maybe all that craziness was just the liquor talking!
Really? Liquor in their ice cream! Sorry Sean freaked out but it sounds like it was fun time.
ReplyDeleteYour Nan looks great and how awesome to see a picture of your mom. She looks wonderful!