Dance Masters!
When I picked Ali up from dance class last week, she ran up to me all smiles, grabbed my hand, squeezed it tight and said, "Let's go!" She got ready faster than I had ever seen her before and as soon as we got out of the doors of the studio, I asked her what was going on! She was so excited and said, "Mom! If we get an award at the competition, they picked ME to go get it for everyone!" She was over the moon! It was late and as she spoke (a mile a minute) from the back seat, although it was dark, I could see her smile just from the tone of her voice. I truly don't know if I've ever seen her so excited. She called everyone and went running upstairs to tell Jeff as soon as we got home! I wrote her teacher (who Ali and I both love) telling her all about Ali's excitement and thanking her for making Ali's day and this is what she wrote me back:
Thanks for sharing- I forwarded your email on to Katie too. We are constantly impressed with Ali and we felt that she deserved to be recognized. Her focus is so extraordinary for a dancer her age, and her dancing improves weekly because of it. In early January, when we were talking about what it means to be a Dazzling Star and leader in class, I asked the girls to name some "leaders" in the group- all were our oldest dancers, but then someone named Ali too :) It's nice that her peers recognize her hard work and good attitude about dance! It is a very well deserved honor for her and she makes US smile in class every night.
Well the girls did really well and got a special "Star-chitect" award (I got a video of it), Gold and second place over-all in their age group (which was in the 11-12 age group). The first place group was also from their studio! I was so proud of all the dancers (and of course MY dancer) but when I went to get Ali afterward, she was nearly in tears... She wouldn't tell me what was wrong and also wouldn't talk to my mom (who had come to watch her). She started crying and so I knew we weren't going to stay and socialize at all with the other dance families. Ali wouldn't tell me what was wrong and that was making me upset.
When we got to the car, she started crying and told me what was wrong. When they were announcing the overall awards, they called up the first, second and third place winners and they were supposed to stay on the stage and wait. Ali got the award and started to go back to her seat. She needed to be reminded (as did some other dancers) to stay on the stage. She told me she, "let everyone down!" She felt terrible. I felt badly for her~ not because she had to be reminded to stay up, or that she let anyone down (which she did not), but because her skin is so thin and she puts so much pressure on herself to follow every direction and rule that if she misses something or makes a mistakes she puts herself through the ringer! Sometimes we are our own worst enemy!
Needless to say we had a good (healing) conversation, both my mom and I got apologies for her attitude toward us after the show and Ali returned to her normal self (but hopefully with a little more ease in knowing that mistakes happen and all we can do is our best which IS good enough).
The next day she had her dance classes. She absolutely LOVED them and told me all the combinations and steps she learned (one she was very excited about because she had seen the 'bigger' girls doing that step and now she knew how)! When I picked her up I asked her if she wanted to get lunch and told her we could go anywhere and of course she picked McDonald's... I think the last time we were there was when she last danced at the nursing homes... When she got home what did she do??? More dancing!! I think this girl's been bitten by the bug (and I'm happy for her)!



She was so brave on the stage. I couldn't have done that at her age. Way to go Ali! Love the song from "The Muppet Movie" that they were dancing to in the video. She is really good!
ReplyDeleteThanks Debby! I can't believe she's come so far in just a couple years. I was really proud of her. I can't relate to her shyness (since I have never really been a shy gal), but I know it took a lot for her to get up there! She's not at all nervous about dancing but she IS nervous about getting up in front of people like that. She was so excited about it but did tell me the only party she was nervous about was getting that award! ;-)
Delete