Reason to Celebrate!

My dad and me when he was my Mystery Reader.  Here we were happy because he had 5 treatments to go!

A while back my dad was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.  It made me sick and scared. Losing my parents is something I never think about... something I don't want to think about!   My folks both told me not to worry and that of the "cancers" out there, Prostate was a "good" one... That made me feel a bit better but in the end, it still was cancer.
My dad's options were surgery or radiation.  I thought, "Do the surgery!"  I just wanted it out of his body!  He had done his research, thought it through and decided to go with radiation.  Hearing his reasons, it did seem to be the better choice for him and (sadly) he had some other friends who had also been through it.  They also talked options.  I suppose it is good to know that you aren't going through something alone.  One of his best friends was ahead of him in the diagnosis/ treatments by just a few weeks.
My dad went nearly every day for treatment and had few side effects.  He still was able to even go running!  In fact, the only thing that he couldn't do (and can't do for a year) was give blood and platelets like he used to.
On Friday, he had his LAST radiation treatment so it was time to celebrate!  We took the kids and met him, my mom, my brother and his kids all for some pizza and drinks!  The kids were GREAT!  So much so, that the waitress complimented us on how she couldn't get over how well-behaved they were! I was pretty impressed too... You never know which "Sean" will turn up! That along with the end of radiation of course, made my night!  Now we just need to get those levels to go down and hear that he is cancer free!! My dad has a lot more to do in this lifetime (starting with that deck this summer... right dad?)!

(Gotta love when your phone doubles as a camera!  The kids had some fun taking pictures! And of course I snapped a few too!)









We love you Dad/Papa!


Comments

  1. Well this is wonderful news and praying for those numbers to go down. My brother in law faced this about 15 years ago as a younger man. He did radiation pellets and is cancer free. Love all the pictures and a great reason to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!