Our Mid-Winter Break
Each February we have a week off of school. It's a God-send really... By that time, usually we've had so many indoor recesses that the kids are climbing the walls. I have no problem going later into the summer for that break (in fact, I'd love year-round school 45-15). Jeff only has two days off so we aren't able to go anywhere far for this break. I actually enjoy being home. We started off our break though with Sean having an ear infections. No one has been sick until now and really after a day of antibiotics (and some cuddling and screen time), he was good as new.
We were able to go up north and see Grandma Doran which is always a treat! We had a great time catching up and Mary, Uncle Jim and Tia Trish were able to come by for a delicious dinner and socializing too. Jeff and I spent the night chatting with Jim and Trish while the others had fun playing games. I did manage to snap a few shots with my phone. Mary is so great with her cousins and I was so glad she could come and visit!
We (Ali and I) also went and visited Great-Nan. Her memory is still 'great' but REALLY short~ that's one of her quotes actually. Ali is so great with her. In the span of an hour, my Nan asked Al how old she was 10 times (yes... we were counting) and each time Ali just smiled at me and answered that she was 8. We brought Nan some balloons and it was great to see her smile. She does know who we are, but she lives in the moment (and enjoys most moments) and keeps that great sense of humor of her's.
I also got some cleaning done. I've been on a mad purge lately (with the help of my mom). I've been getting rid of clothes and toys and all sorts of things (mostly things that have been housed in my basement). I've been donating things to the kids' preschool and Purple Heart. It feels great to get rid of things!
I also labeled all the boxes in the closet too. From purging so many kid clothes I also have a ton of plastic bins which is exciting! In addition to cleaning the basement, I have rekindled my love-affair with the treadmill. I don't intend to get back into the 1-teens like I was when I did the biggest loser at work, but I'm well on the way to my clothes fitting better (I'm shooting for 5lbs). I'm not a gal to diet so getting on the treadmill for 45 minutes a day works well for me (and I'm watching some TV again and so not 'totally' out of it).
Even though we weren't 'screen free' during the week (like we usually are), we did have plenty of non-screen entertainment including a pretty big puppet-show production of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, written and performed by Joe (and I did tape it and intend to put it on here for him). There were scene changes and even fireworks (balls soaring through the air at us~ care of Zach). Joe did a great job and I am reminded of what a creative soul he is. And best of all... by the end of the day the cushions and chairs were all back where they belong.
(It's the little things).
Sounds like a wonderful week off from school. Glad you got to spend some quality time with family. Way to go on the organizing. I got so much more done when I worked than I do being home everyday! I recently watched Panache Desai on Oprah's OWN channel Super Soul Sunday and he explained a way of living similar to how your Nan is living. It was about living in the moment. There is a freedom of living in the moment.
ReplyDeleteThanks Debby! I find the same thing... if I'm in a crunch I get things done! I'm good at working last minute! I like your way of thinking and that there is a freedom in living in the moment... I like that. Sometimes it makes me sad she doesn't remember more! Thanks for leaving me a comment (as always) <3.
Delete