

Thirteen years ago around this time, I was spending hours setting up my first grade classroom. I was fresh out of college, knew "everything" and had the energy of a young twenty-two-year-old! Thirteen years later, I am spending hours setting up my first grade classroom, brushing up on some of my favorite 'teacher reads', admit that each year I learn perhaps more than my students and have all the energy of a thirty-four-year-old with four kids at home, a husband and two humane society specials... (sigh) It blows my mind that the first graders pictured are beginning a new chapter in their lives, perhaps heading off to college and naive to how fast life is going to suddenly fly by.

I am still teaching in the same building but it has certainly changed... we now have carpeting, computers, phones in our room, and AIR-CONDITIONING! I remember that on some days it would get so hot, the PTA would buy
Popsicles and we would sit in silence sucking away on the sweet, refreshing treat.
Still, there are some things that have not changed... I have found myself back in first grade (a grade I swore I would never teach again), thankful that my parents can help me set up my room and thinking about all the things that I hope and pray for the first graders that will touch my life this year. The first grader pictured continues to touch my life. Over the years she has kept in touch with me, volunteered in my classroom, and will head off to college so that one day perhaps she will be writing a blog just like this one... remembering when she was a young first year teacher excited and giddy for the first days of school... some things never change.
You have more energy than me, lady! I refuse to set up my classroom until next week!!!!!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for sticking with it for all these years! It requires so much stamina. I honestly do not know how you do it with four kids. I know we all feel that way about situations not our own, but seriously...teaching is not just any job. It requires so much of you. You must have a store of energy like no other human ;).
ReplyDeleteIsn't it crazy to think that those students you had are in college now!? I remember when I was a student aid in HS for an elementary class and recognizing when they were entering jr high. How did they grow up so fast!?
ReplyDeletethat is a great memory and a wonderful post about your experiences as a teacher. and about how experience is a teacher all by itself. kids do grow up fast! thanks for linking up!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet walk. In a blink of an eye time goes by. Praying that it is a wonderful year and that your student has a great year at college.
ReplyDeleteAW! How absolutely fun to have kept in touch with a previous student. And how amazing to see all the little ones from back then and to imagine or know where they are now or heading on towards!
ReplyDeleteYou look great then and now!
Blessings & Aloha!
(Ah! trying to get around still to more Walk Down Memory Lane links!...and it is almost time for the next one! I would love if you get a chance to stop by mine :o)