The Next Ernie Harwell


Joe has really been interested in Ernie Harwell (the late and GREAT voice of the Tigers) lately. When Ernie passed away recently, Joe took special notice, listening and learning about his life and thinking how wonderful it would be to call a Tiger's game. He's blogged about Ernie. (Yes. He has his own blog now- he writes in his notebook and I do the typing.) He talks like Ernie, and he even made a head-set out of paper and a cut-out of a field where he pretends he's watching a game and calls the play-by-play.
When my dad asked if he could take the Bigs to a ball game, I knew that Joe would be over the moon- and he was! Joe got to see the Ernie statue, and experience a great ball game (though not as great as the 'almost' perfect game pitched last night) with his Papa. The only problem was Joe got sick. Papa knew something was a-miss when Joe said he couldn't eat chips or pop because they are not good for your body- or when he curled up in his seat and fell asleep! Papa asked Joe if he wanted to go home to which of course Joe replied, "No!"

Despite not feeling 100%, Joe had a great day with his Papa. As you may have noticed, the other 'big' didn't make the game. No. My sweet daughter had more sass the day after I last wrote about her and I knew that there should be a consequence. One that hurt. And so she did not go to the game. Surprisingly, she didn't argue with me. She knew. And I wonder (like that perfect game I referenced) who felt worse- her (for not being able to go to the game) or me (for taking something away when I knew that she was a sweet girl, that she could, and would do better) But if there is one thing I've learned, be it from having amazing parents- or from seeing what happens when parents DON'T follow through on consequences- Sometimes you have to be the bad guy. One day she'll thank me for it... uh... thanks mom and dad if you're reading this.

Comments

  1. I love the headset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when young children find an interest like that. So glad he got to go to the game. Hope he is feeling better. It's sad that Ali didn't get to go but those kind of lessons will pay off. I wish I had been stronger with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!