Season's End


Tonight was the last game of the T-ball season. This was the first time we put the kids in 'organized' sports and it was such fun! Both kids had a great last game. Joe played pitcher the entire game and did a great job. I'd say that most of the balls went up the middle so Joe made a ton of plays and did very well. He made a lot of nice throws too. (Even though he had to wear that batting helmet which can be hard I imagine...)
Al played third base for most of the season but for the last game she was in the out field. It didn't matter where she was, she was always ready for the ball and her head was in the game. (I love this picture!) Next year she will play softball on the fields I grew up on and I am so excited. My dad is going to bring her to a game to watch the girls play and she is thrilled.
Zach was great for this last game. We learned early on that it was wise to bring Zach his own T, ball and bat. Near the end of the season though, we had to pitch to him- which was fine. He's actually doing really well- and swinging left like his big sis. He also met a little friend on the team and all the players knew who he was which was fun. Many of the games though he'd leave in tears because he wanted the team snack. It's hard to explain to a three year old that he isn't on the team and therefore doesn't always get a snack (or trophy- but we survived it by getting lots of ice-cream after games.
Sean was great too. He watched most games from the comfort of our laps and was a pretty mellow guy. For some of the games we had a blanket where he would sit and play which was also nice. It will be interesting next year when both he AND Zach are mobile and moving to their own drummers...
I will miss T-ball though. I've decided when I'm old, I need to come back and watch these games. I laughed so much- the parents and coaches weren't stressed- everyone cheered for everyone- and it was a great time for all. If the ball made it to the outfield, most of the team would run after it. (And yes- Ali Jane beat out those boys twice to the ball tonight!)
After the game we went to the Dairy Twist for ice-cream with the team. The Dairy Twist was the same place my brother and I went each week after our games so going there felt like going home. I could close my eyes and see some of the amazing girls I played with for so many years. I ordered my old standby- a small 'suicide' which is all the slush flavors mixed together. It's now called a 'slosh bucket' perhaps to be more 'PC'.
After ice-cream, the kids all got trophies with their names on them. (Zach wanted to know where his was...) Joe was so excited and posed quite a bit with his trophy. He's already talked about the next time he has 'show-and-tell' he is bringing it to school and when we got home he put it on the mantel for everyone to see. On the drive home he said, "You know. People are going to write about me one day." When we asked him why- he said, "They'll write what they think of me when I'M a Tiger." It was awesome. What little boy doesn't want to grow up and play in the Big Leagues?
And Ali Jane was excited too. Her trophy actually had a girl playing T-ball (instead of a boy). I was so proud of her. She improved so much over the season and when she made a play in the field today we actually saw her smile! (She's quite serious out there!) As I write this, she is fast asleep- her trophy next to her. I wish I could crawl into the Bigs' dreams tonight and see what amazing plays they're making in the Big Leagues. It was a great season- and I think I was their biggest fan!

Comments

  1. If you were their greatest fan, their Nana was a really close second. I'm so proud of them and love that last picture - two happy ballplayers! I'm sad to see the season end, but looking forward to many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's awesome...great job guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure they had a blast playing and will miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous, as you know after 18 years on my bowling league and finally in first place they didn't do trophies this year:( I want a trophy. Wow, it went by so fast. The pictures are wonderful and I'm glad that Joe got to pitch. How wonderful that your children get to experience places that you also went to as a child. That is awesome. Enjoy the quiet time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look so proud! I love being a sports mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!