First Graders
I am a writer. I teach writers. I helped good writers become great writers and when I spoke with my class about what they wanted as an end of the year 'present,' they wanted composition books. To write. Create. Express.
I am sad that I will no longer be teaching students how to create emotion through the use of their pencils. (Among other things-) I will truly miss it and it breaks my heart.
While I never thought I would teach first graders again, (I taught them 13 long years ago) I will be joining my son in learning a new curriculum. Tomorrow I will be packing my beloved children's lit books in hopes to share them with other students one day. Until then I will be the best first grade teacher I can be. I will love them and try my hardest to instill my love of writing and books into their tiny minds. Looking at my favorite first grader, I know I'll be o.k. There is a reason why I am moving and I know God will unveil it in His time.
As for today... it was emotional to say the least. But I came home to an embrace from my best friend and wonderful notes from my favorite first graders that made me smile and laugh out loud. I am blessed. It was a joy to share my passion and I know I will do it again. Until then, I'm going to brush up on my singing voice- I will be living and breathing first grade at home and at work- there's no escaping... So one thing I ask of you....
PRAY!
Ahh!! I know how hard change can be but I believe it's a wonderful thing! To grow and be shaped into a better teacher, I know you will look back on it and realize why the Lord had you make this change. I've taught 1st grade before and it's an experience I will always treasure!!
ReplyDeleteYou will be in my prayer and I can't wait to hear more about the journeys of the first graders
I think you will do great in first grade and so will Jonasen! I got your email, I've posted two updates on my blog.
ReplyDeleteLaura,
ReplyDeleteI think you will be very surprised on the type of writing and the depth of writing you will teach in first grade. No, it's not what you teach in the upper grades, but I don't think you will be disappointed at all. It may become a new love for you, just in a different way. Just think, you get to be the foundation for these little friends and help them love writing as much as you do. I think that's pretty special.
I know it will be okay but I can surely understand the shock! ((HUGS)) I will keep you in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI hope the transition is smooth for you!
ReplyDeleteThose are some lucky first graders. Now, no more worrying for now. It's summer and time to play!
ReplyDelete