
After two days of driving I am THRILLED to say that we have arrived safe and sound at our wonderful home. The pups were so happy to see us and Rocky (Joe's fish) was still alive! (Though Ali and
Z's both didn't make it... they weren't looking well before we left and honestly I'm
surprised they made it this long from what happened during the
'Fish Tales' days...)

Joe was the one who won the prize for being the best! He never napped the entire trip. (-except for falling asleep around 10pm on our first night.) He also only complained once that he thought he was going to be sick and that was after we had spent many hours in the car and I think he just needed to stretch his little legs and get some fresh air because he felt fine after a stop. It was also cute when we stopped on day one in Kentucky- and after a nicer place with no vacancy- we arrived at the most run-down place I'd ever seen. Joe said, "Well, this looks like it will be a nice place..." Jeff and I had to laugh under our breath- but the place did keep us safe and warm and allow us to stretch our legs and sleep for 8 hours.

Ali Jane was also amazing. She had fun drawing and reading and she and Joe were cracking each other up in that back seat. At one point Jeff and I turned off the radio and listened and were laughing at the
Bigs' cute conversation. They really are best friends. I can't remember when we were a family of three without Ali Jane and I'm sure that Joe can't remember it either. On the trip home someone asked if they were twins (gulp)- I imagine we'll get more of that as they are closer to the same size. The thing is they are best friends and had Andrew been here, (and Ali too which would have been unlikely- though still possible) I wonder what that dynamic may have been like. The fact that they love each other much doesn't make me pause and think about that too much.

Zach (our loose cannon two year old) also surprised us and did a great job! He was our main comic relief much of the trip. After about 20 minutes of me thinking he was asking me for a pretzel and me handing them to him
and he saying 'No thanks," I
finally found out that he was asking me for a PENCIL! It was quite funny and while I was getting frustrated not knowing what he wanted- he remained calm and kept asking me for that pencil! He also had fun with that sword of his and being the pirate of our ship. He enjoyed sticking it through my chair but thankfully didn't do it the ENTIRE way home...

And then there was Sean. The poor little babe who had to be strapped facing backwards and having no idea why we kept putting him in that chair... Before we even left Florida he was crying- and after about 20
minutes, Jeff (seriously) suggested Sean and I hop on a plane in Atlanta and fly home because it wasn't fair to keep him in that carseat for so long. I literally was praying out loud while he was crying and at 1:46 on day one- Sean stopped crying and was pleasant the rest of the trip. Surprisingly, he even slept at that wonderful stop we made in Kentucky. And so while I thought Jeff would nix any
idea of us ever taking a road trip again with four little ones, we may just find ourselves being the 'Driving
Dorans' again... We found our conversation being about how blessed we are- how amazing our kids did- and how wonderful it is to be part of this family God blessed us with!
We make the trip every year (OK, not this one half because the whole backward facing carseat thing). It isn't so bad and seems to go by fast and even when they have meltdowns they seem to stop just when you think you can't take another second. Welcome home!
ReplyDeleteWelcome home! We're glad you're back and glad you brought some sun with you. Enjoy your last day of Spring break with lots of outdoor time and no time in the car.
ReplyDeleteI just loved this post. Nothing like a family trip. You will remember this and have lots of laughs in the future about it. You have a beautiful family and thank you for sharing your vacation with me. So happy that you are home safe and sound.
ReplyDeleteHope you all had a blast on your family trip! From all the pics you posted it looked like you did!
ReplyDeleteLaura!!! I just laughed soo hard at Zach wanting a pencil and you handing him pretzels!!!! That made my morning...:) Glad you guys had a great trip!
ReplyDeletexo
Tara
okay, so i just have one question...if it is true that i am an "honorary" member of the doran family, how come i didn't get to go to florida, too? ;-) jk...loved the pretzel/pencil story!
ReplyDelete