
Though Earth Day has been around for 40 years, I don't remember doing much on April 22nd when I was younger... (but then I
do have a horrible memory which is why I keep this blog and write everything down...) We recycle what we can, have taught the children to use water sparingly... (though the
littles still take baths), and bring our own bags to the grocery store. There is much more we could do and
I have a wonderful friend who is much more earth friendly than we are, but we're working on it.

So today, we went for a walk to clean up a street near our house that was strewn with litter. I still don't understand how people can toss cans, papers and cigarettes out their car windows as if the earth were their own personal
garbage can. Jeff was busy picking up and taking care of our yard, so I strapped the
littles into a stroller (Z has been sick AGAIN, though the fresh air was good for him...), the
bigs hopped on their bikes and we took a garbage bag with us to clean along the way.

I had no idea how much the
bigs would actually clean up! They filled an entire garbage bag in a relatively small amount of space/time. Much of what they picked up could be recycled too! They had a lot of fun and would scream, "GARBAGE" every time they spied something that they could pick up. Joe even found an 'estate sale' sign that was thrown into the woods. (He was very proud of his find!)

On our way home we picked up more random pieces of garbage. We ran into some elementary aged children who asked what we were doing, joined in the fun and added even more things to our garbage bag. All-in-all it was a great day and I think we may have started a new tradition- but perhaps we will go on more 'garbage hunts' this summer and not
just on April 22
nd. One thing I do remember from my youth, is finding garbage on the side of the road while on walks with my mom and brother. We'd make an entire adventure story out of what we would find. So in a sense I did carry on a tradition. The kids had a blast today- and we helped the earth. It felt really good!
Yea!!! I'm so proud of you guys!!! What a wonderful tradition to start!
ReplyDeleteNice work, Laura! What a great project. Thanks for the link! That's so sweet. I still always feel like there's so much I could do though! I have friends here who are so much better than I am. I was kind of surprised to find out how eco-friendly Montreal is, or at least my borough.
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend with your little lovelies!
Jaimie
Nice work Laura! You really are an inspiration...your kiddies are so lucky to have such a wonderful mom...xo
ReplyDeleteWhat a great day, nothing like doing your part and teaching your children to take care of the earth.
ReplyDeleteI think it's good to teach our kids to conserve and recycle.
ReplyDelete