

It's getting to me... I
don't know if it's the sleep deprivation or the crazy schedule of being a full time working mom and having four kids at home... but it's getting to me. I am so tired. Last night I was up at midnight with Sean, then at 2:30 with Joe who was sick and threw up, I got back to bed at 3 and slept for 15 minutes until Sean woke up again. I let him cry for 45 MINUTES until I could take it no more, staggered into his room and nursed him. And then I was up before six to start my day which looks something like this..

Wake up, shower, get ready for work prior to kids waking up... (praying that they don't wake up) then waking the
bigs who can dress themselves, and getting Zach changed and dressed, then downstairs to make breakfast for three
bigs while putting together pump parts to take to school (that were drying over-night), clean up from breakfast,
meds for Zach which now include a breathing treatment (from last Tuesday's doc apt), shoes on and brush teeth, back upstairs to wake Sean, change him and nurse him before going to work. I wait until the last possible second to do this in hopes it may mean less pumping for me...
Next,

Load the middles into the car with lunchboxes, my school bag, my pump, Zach's
nebulizer, and a separate bag with pump parts and cooler. Drive to middles' school listening to "Kids Place Live" (NO TOUCHING THE
LAAAAMA), bring middles into school, take off coats, hugs and kisses and 'Happy Days' goodbye. Praying that Ali Jane won't wrap herself around my leg so that I can just get to school. Back into car and on my way to work where I am a teacher /nurse /counselor /confidant / disciplinarian/ doctor/ advisor/ listener. I often spend my prep times in meetings with parents or phone calls to them.

Lunch means pumping for my babe and checking emails and perhaps replying to them typing with one finger. Bell rings and I am leaving (amidst some whispers to how a teacher can leave so shortly after school... they must not see all the bags I'm dragging with me.) Off to get the middles and praying that Ali Jane will now leave without having a fit. Driving home to more "Kids Place Live" (how I miss my own music or a quiet car ride to think) As soon as I pull in the door, off to pumping the second feeding I missed, then dinner with the
fam, I do clean-up while kids run and play, showers and
pj's, books, songs, prayers. I lay the clothes out for the next day and try to hop on the treadmill, do schoolwork, make my lunch and of course blog about what it's like being in my family... And today... well I'm tired. (Oh and it was pajama/crazy hair day at the middles' school, and poor Joe, as mentioned, was sick... Thank God for Nana! I love you!)
*I should mention that I am also blessed with a hubby who cooks, shops, makes kids' lunches, cleans bathrooms, does laundry and keeps up with the million dollar mutt's meds.
*hug*
ReplyDeleteKnow that by putting this out there you are helping to prepare me for my future life as a working mom. I will be coming to you for advice! Maybe in some small way that is a consolation?
[Note: I'm not pregnant. Don't go startin' that rumor! ;o) ]
I don't know how you do it. I was a single parent for six years and it's hard work. I will pray for you and pray that you will get a good nights sleep. So your parents watch the little ones? Do they come over to your house?
ReplyDeleteYou deserve a break just for typing all that. Maybe you'll get a nap this weekend. Next weekend, I'll be happy to loan you Emma and she can play while you relax. She'd love it!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I'm so tired just reading it all! Life will hopefully get easier soon when you're done pumping/nursing and can get a good nights sleep. My crew is now sleeping for 12 hours so I at least get some time to myself :-) AND you still blog and FB...superwoman! Prayers for a huge nap this weekend and that Joey feels better!
ReplyDeleteHugs-
Jen
Wow Laura,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you need a vacation. You are an inspiration to many working moms. I am now thankful that I get to stay home with my kids.
Oh Laura, I only have 3 and I can be hardly deal with it! You are amazing! Your kids are beautiful and I wish you peace and a good nights sleep.
ReplyDeleteOh my Laura, I will be praying for you! Too think that adding an additional theme of "Lutheran's school week" on top of all you do. Hang in there. You need some ME time. Ronda
ReplyDeleteI can understand how you feel, I dont know how you do it with 4 kids!! I have a hard time with just 1!! Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteYour "I am so tired" blog opening got me here to check it out! Hope you have a restful weekend to recoup from the week-- I know that can help! Good luck. With all you do, you are bound to get super tired once in a while (even without sick kids!)
ReplyDeleteyou are amazing and have tired me out just by reading this....now....i think i figured out your problem....it's the treadmill!!!! ;-p
ReplyDeletelove you, laura...please find some "laura time"
I know this is a few days old, but I've been thinking it. Like other responders, I really don't know how you do it! Between all four kids, teaching (which is not just any job...it's an extraordinarily demanding job), and all the other things you do, I don't know how you have any time for yourself. I think it's important to remember that we are ALLOWED to be tired. We don't have to be superwomen. Maybe every so often you could bring in a sitter for the kids so that you can just sleep for an extra four hours or so. Don't be tempted to work or get ahead...just sleep! It would be worth the cost of a sitter and a valid use of money.
ReplyDeleteTrust me. Until I got pneumonia, I thought I could get away with not sleeping. Now I take a short nap every day, and I go to bed when it's time for bed, even if stuff is not done (which it never is).
And no matter what, you amaze me anyway. I could only hope to be so put-together :).
wouldn't just one night of of 12 hours of straight sleep get you through the month! Not sure how working moms do it, amazing!
ReplyDeleteWell, geez, I don't understand what's making you so tired?!?! ;) Love you lady and think you're amazing! HUGS :)
ReplyDeleteI'm not a heavy sleeper
ReplyDelete