

Today is St. Patrick's Day- and to tell you the truth, I'm not a big "St. Patty's Day" person... Back in college I remember my best friend Jodi and I would always get some lime ice-cream and make green floats- and of course there was the green beer- but really- drinking until you're sick isn't my thing either... but Jeff tells me the '
Dorans' have Irish in their genes somewhere so this year we decided to do something...

The kids all dressed in some green today so they wouldn't get 'pinched' and though no leprechauns came and messed up our house, (we don't need leprechauns when we have four little ones and two dogs who do that just fine...) Joe did have some visit his school and he told me that they made a HUGE mess and left a note that there was some treasure hidden in the room! They found the treasure (gold coins with shamrocks) and a special treat.

And then of course we talked about St. Patrick, the history, and the legends. We talked about the trinity and how St. Patrick used the clover to explain it to people who didn't understand- one God in three parts. But perhaps the best part of the day wasn't what they learned or wore or even the leprechauns at school, but what they ate. It started actually a little backwards... with dessert! Jeff picked up all the kids today (because I had 'dance' practice for the school talent show...) and as a special treat they went to McDonald's for shamrock shakes! Though I stayed later at work, by the time Jeff got everyone AND got the milkshakes I was already home and did something I RARELY do... COOK!

I decided that since my husband and kids have (some) Irish blood in them (somewhere)... and Jeff and I couldn't go out for some green beer, I would make green food! And so we sat down to eat Green Eggs and Ham (with a side of toast with green butter). It was a huge hit and we actually ran out of eggs!! I think that colored eggs may taste better to little tongues than the regular variety... (and it tasted better than it looked... I'm clearly not the cook that my friend Shellie is...
She has a blog about all her wonderful cooking creations!)
And of course I forgot to take a picture of Sean Asher who has been loving his peas lately! (Bad Mommy!) So Happy St. Patrick's Day All! From the Doran who is half Polish & half Norwegian- and the other Dorans who are full-blown mutts- (with some Irish!)
About all I did for St Patrick's day was wear green. Green food would've been interesting!
ReplyDeleteFun! I didn't do anything with my chicks other than dress them in green. I wasn't even sure how to explain St. Patrick's Day :). Maybe next year I'll do some research.
ReplyDeleteEwwwww! I can't believe they are smiling while eating GREEN eggs and ham. Now Dr. Seuss will actually make sense to them!! Love it! You're way more creative than your mother!
ReplyDelete