Easter Egg Hunt 2010


Today was the annual Easter Egg Hunt & Celebration at the Little's school/church. It started out hectic as we were running late (I feel like I am having deja vu from last year...) and it was a bit chilly outside- but thankfully we did make it on time and the kids were all dressed appropriately. The eggs are placed where you don't really need to 'hunt' for them but the kids sure had fun gathering them up. They only took five eggs so that there would be enough for the smaller kids and Ali Jane was excited to see that her BF, Holly was there too!
Though Zach qualified for the littlest group- he joined the Bigs to make it easier for me. Because it was a bit chilly- Jeff stayed inside with Sean Asher enjoying coffee, donut holes and conversation with some of his buddies from church. Zach did really well and I was happy that the kids all followed directions. They did notice that some kids had way more than five eggs in their baskets- but commented that perhaps they didn't know how to count too well. It was quite sweet.
After they had their five eggs, we went in to open them. Each egg contained a small piece of candy (chocolate) and they were so excited to eat them. Shortly after opening their eggs a magic show began and Sean was amazed at what the magician could do! He was actually pretty good! (Sean AND the magician!)
But the highlight of the day for me was when my super shy six year old was chosen to go on stage to participate with one of the magic tricks. I was shocked and he did such a great job! Ali Jane was bummed that she wasn't picked to go up on the stage, but I told her that perhaps she wasn't chosen because she was hiding behind me and not raising her hand very high. (Maybe next year she'll be more brave like Joe.)
After the magic show, the Bigs (which in this case includes Zach)enjoyed some hot dogs, and Sean slept. There were games to play, though we didn't get to any of them- and of course the Easter Bunny was there too but we didn't get to that either.

We actually spent most of the remaining time (about a half hour) waiting in line for the balloon lady- (a woman who makes different animals and such out of balloons-) The Bigs (Joe and Al) stayed in line with me the entire time and didn't complain as much as I probably would have.
Last year they saw the balloon lady, but we never actually got balloons because the line was so long. This time they forfeited the Easter Bunny and games for balloons. And once we finally got to the front of the line Joe got a space gun and Ali Jane chose a flower.
Because by that time there was no one left in line for face-painting, they quickly hopped in the chair where Joe had a snake painted on his face and Ali Jane a sparkly heart. And that would have been the end of this story but... I will admit that had today been a day I could have won super-mom status... Well... I would have fallen WAY short...
As we met back up with Jeff, Sean and Zach, Zach said, "Where's mine?" (balloon) Oooops. We had waited over a half hour and I totally forgot to get Z a balloon. I felt HORRIBLE and Zach was crying and when I told Jeff I felt like the worst mom in the world... well... let's just say he didn't say, "No honey, everyone makes mistakes..." So... I RAN back in and BEGGED the lady to make another balloon character for my Z. I explained what a horrible mom I was and though she was no longer making balloons... she let me take one of the pre-made ones off the wall. (Phew- day saved) So, I think I will go now- and set my alarm for next year. I'm hoping it will be easier with a mobile Sean and a Zach that speaks up and a mom that functions off a little more sleep... one can only hope! (sigh)




Comments

  1. Was his sock gone? Looks like you all had a wonderful time. Happy Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My super shy Emma got up with a magician at Disney last year. It was the highlight of the trip for me. Must be something about magicians! I say it's not a bad mom to forget the balloon for the child, just bad to forget the actual kid. Since you haven't left any kids behind, you are good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!