Enough!!
(Pictures from WLC NOT Oxford)
Columbine happened my first year teaching. I remember we were at a new teacher club meeting (they actually fed us and taught us stuff back then) at a country club when we heard on the news about the shooting and watched as kids and teachers were marched out of the building where so many murders had happened. I remember not even being able to comprehend what I was seeing. Sadly, since then, countless other school shootings have happened (even in elementary schools). "We" (America) will offer "thoughts and prayers" do nothing, act shocked when it happens again and repeat. Well this latest shooting feels a bit different because it was so close to home, and we knew people there.
Oxford is a neighbor to Clarkston (where Jeff used to teach). Jeff actually was offered and turned down a job there (thank God). I think the proximity of this one really made this grab our attention a bit more than the "usual" shooting (isn't that ridiculous that I can even say that?). And after that surrounding districts (including ours) cancelled school due to copy-cat threats! It's unbelievable! After that THIS happened at my alma mater! Below is the text message between a friend who was there and myself.
And so school was canceled again and I think about my own high schooler (and let's face it- middle schooler, husband, me, my own first graders) and I wonder what in the world is wrong with this country and this keeps happening AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN! When will we actually say ENOUGH and law makers will actually do something? Ugh. I've taught through some tragedies and this was certainly another one.
Above is a post from one of my former students. You can see a bit of what I sent home to families.
I have a running friend in Virginia who did this amazing thing in Andrew's name for her students and even they were rattled by this latest shooting. Four students murdered. Thankfully they got the murderer and his parents. Such a sad, sad day. And now we wait until the next one and I pray it's not someone I know well... sigh.



Comments
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!