Happy BIRTHday Jack Paul!!!!!
So this is going to be a little different... My first post of the year basically because I'm just so excited and have to write it all down (or you know me... I'll forget some of the unbelievable details). I'm going to back-track and write some earlier posts later, but I just have to get this one out. And it's not just for me, but it's for this new little guy who I think will have his own share of posts on this blog...
Dear Jack Paul,
Today is your BIRTHday but I want to back up a little... I know, I know... You haven't even been out of your mommy's tummy for 24 hours and here I'm wanting to back up even more. You see, the story of YOU happened a long time ago and lucky ME, I have been able to watch it all unfold before my very eyes!
I'm going to try to do the "Cliff-Notes" version here because this is a blog and you can go back to read about some of these events in more detail and see pictures (as you can see I've already taken quite a few of you and as I've mentioned... you're not even a day old yet!).
I've known your mama since we were 18! We met in college and became fast friends! Inseparable friends! I actually met your Uncle Jeff through your mom and then, we returned the favor and I'd like to think your mom met your dad through us... Well... they met at a party we went to after your mom picked us up from the airport after our honeymoon.
I had a front row seat as your mom and dad fell in love! I also had a front row seat at their wedding (well not... FRONT FRONT/ but close enough). I remember how your Uncle Jeff leaned over to me and said, "Wow! Look at the way he looks at her! You can see that love." And you could (and still can)! Your dad can be a man of few words, but he has the biggest heart and I got to see his heart grow quite a bit today (getting ahead of myself again).
After your folks got married, they decided it was time to start a family... after all I had kicked out quite a few kiddos and I was ready to hold a little baby again- not trying to make it about me... but... long story short. Your mama LOVED you even before she had you. I mean- you were wanted, loved, prayed for, needed. Long before you were living in your Mama's belly~ you were living in her heart. And mine, too. We cried quite a bit over that!
I remember the day your Mom told me you were here (well- inside of her her). I got this great picture that showed - yes!! She was pregnant. She wasn't sure if the lines were dark enough but we assured her, they were and YOU were coming! She had to do a lot for you once you were growing inside of her and she was worried! Your Mom can be a worry-wart! She is also a big baby - seriously scared of pain - but YOU changed all that!!!!! Suddenly your Mommy was giving herself shots to keep you healthy (can you imagine having shots EVERY day!!! I know!?!? If that doesn't spell "love", I don't know what does)! She also had to give up some of her favorite foods!! That wasn't easy either- but it was a no brainer for her and she did it without batting an eye... well... because that's how much your Mama loves you!
So now I'm going to fast forward a bit to Sunday (which was two days ago). We got to shower your Mom (and dad) with gifts! I'm going to write a post about that too- but let's just say your Mom is loved by more than just your Dad, you and me... she has a crazy large community of people who love her (and of course YOU and your daddy, too). There were so many presents and she got just about everything she would ever need for you (Ali Jane and I went with your Mom while she picked out everything she needed... also in another blog post).
Now as I mentioned before, you Mom is REALLY not a fan of pain. No one really is but ESPECIALLY your Mommy! In fact she wanted to deliver you via c-section because that would be easier. She actually said that... A LOT. And I think that you (smarty pants) actually heard her because now I'm getting to the good part... the story of YOUR birth!!!
So, Monday (yesterday- the day after your baby shower) I got this text at 6:59am that said, "Um.... my water just broke...." (this is a sign that you are COMING). The thing is that you weren't supposed to come until Valentine's Day which was a ways off (but we, of course, couldn't wait to see you). I talked to your mom and she actually sounded quite calm about the whole thing. Thankfully your dad hadn't left yet for work. So, your mom and dad headed to the hospital and I had to head to work teaching first graders.
I told my class that I had to check my phone often because YOU could come at any time. Your mom and dad actually told me the doctor said you probably wouldn't come until about 3 in the morning and your mom was actually quite comfy with contractions- they weren't too bad (I wouldn't know because I've never experienced one myself).
I had planned to come up to the hospital just to give your mom a hug and perhaps some orange tic-tacs and maybe some chocolate or something for your dad (I don't think they allow beer in the hospital, but the thought crossed my mind). Well... you were ready to come out and started making things a little uncomfortable for your mom... I know I said your mom can be a wimp when it comes to pain but I think this sort of pain would be even tough for the Hulk!!! On top of that, she also had a fever on and off (no fun). I didn't come up that night and your dad helped get her through (she told me how wonderful he was). He updated me (and I helped update your mom's great friends, Gabby, Elke and Sara) but as I mentioned, your dad is a man of few words so our updates were short and pretty spaced out.
Well, we ladies were going NUTS with worry wondering what was going on!!! Your dad said at 10pm that you would probably be here in a few hours and I told him we'd be up so to let us know. I slept on my phone that night (literally) and woke every 20-30 minutes to check my phone but there were no updates. I was pretty worried at that point so I don't think I slept really at all.
Well in the morning we ladies were REALLY going NUTS with worry and we had decided to try to get some info. We were going to call (but it was still early). So we tried contacting your Uncle Brad and Auntie Stephanie via email and facebook. Your Auntie Stephanie wrote Elke back and we learned you were here!!!
Now that sounds all very quick- but I assure you it was NOT!! Your strong Mama tried to get you out for a LOOOONNNGG time and she tried pushing you out for an hour and a half before you remembered what she said (about wanting that c-section) so decided to turn sideways and get stuck (hey... now your mom gets two extra weeks of recovery with you right, so it's all good...).
I was SOOOO relieved when I heard that you were here that I LITERALLY dropped to my knees looked up at the sky and said, "THANK YOU, JESUS!" and then started hysterically crying- I mean the ugly, loud kind of crying because I was so happy (I've never cried ugly, loud HAPPY tears before so I think I REALLY scared your cousin, Seany).
But here you are!!! And I got to meet you on your BIRTH day and hold you and see your daddy change your first diaper and watch how your mom and dad looked at you! And MAN!!!, we thought your Daddy looked at your Mommy with those love eyes- but you should have seen how he looked at you!!!! And who can blame him??? Certainly not me. I'm in love with you too! I think you have that effect on people!!!
So that's it - in an Auntie-Laura Nutshell! (You will learn what the word "oxymoron" means one day and you'll realize my name combined with nutshell is an oxymoron).
Welcome to the world sweet boy! Day one of some marvelous adventures!!! Thank you for getting here safe and sound!! Thank you for making my friends sooooo happy!!! And thank you for making so many hearts grow so very big (mine included). You're destined for great things and you have some very special people in heaven who are cheering you on! Including your name-sake!
Love you!!!!!!
Auntie Laura
| You actually were holding on pretty tight to Daddy's hand prior to me snapping this! |
| Daddy changing his first diaper!!!!! (with his teacher, Lori who was awesome!!!) |
| You had to get antibiotics for a while because of your mom's fever but were doing so well, you didn't need them for as long as they thought you would. |
![]() |
| Our first picture together (Daddy snapped this). I think you're smiling at me! ;-) |
| I'd say you're pretty comfortable in these arms!! |
| Look at all that hair!!! And a little curl to it too!!! |
| You needed a little help staying warm so get to stay here on your first night! |


Comments
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!