Turkey Trotters!


 The Turkey Trot has become a wonderful tradition for my friend (and coworker) Chrissy and I.  This year, the weather was awesome!  Still, it was hard waking up in the 5's and getting to my folks' by 6:00am.  We meet there and then drive with my dad to my brother's to get him and his wife (and their kids).  I really enjoy our drive every year!  My dad gets to talking about the good old days at CC (where Chrissy's boys all go to school) and I learn all these fascinating back-stories about my dad's past (and get an ab workout because it's usually pretty funny).  He was talking so much this year that he actually missed the turn to my brother's, so we ended up just meeting them downtown.  To his credit, it was a bit foggy but...

 When we got downtown, our usual FREE parking spot was no longer free and we had to pay ten bucks to run the race!  When I called my brother to tell him this, he thought we should look for another side street but sure enough the whole city had posted signs of 'no parking'.  We coughed up the $$ and were on our way.  We also got to see Danny's friends, Meghan and Wally and their darling son and pup (named Pudge after Al's old favorite Tiger!).  Maddy and TZ were all bundled up and we were off (I can't believe I didn't get a picture of them!)!  Chrissy and I always kind of lose everyone after we get to the start of the race and we usually get a pretty good pace going to burn off some calories before the big dinner!
The race was super crowded for some reason this year, maybe because of the great weather, and we (the walkers) were passing runners, which seemed odd to me.  We also were nearly stopped at the end which was annoying.  We thought it was because they were passing out medals this year but it turns out it was because of construction or something.  My dad and brother (who ran) said it was a terrible race too, and they had to actually walk because it was so congested at times!  We met up with them at our usual spot but didn't see Steph and the kids.  I got a text from Steph that said she blew a tire and to meet back at the car.  Her front stroller wheel got a hole in it and so she wasn't able to finish the walk.  One of her sisters had an air pump but it wouldn't hold so the hole must have been pretty bad.
Overall we had a great walk and I am back on my commitment to walk and get 'healthy' again (won't say skinny since I'm trying to tell myself that it is for health reasons... skinny is a bonus!).  I walked every day over break (except for Sunday) so I think I'm off to a good start!  Now just to keep it going!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!