O Christmas Tree


Thanksgiving was early this year and I loved how annoyed my children were with those who had their Christmas lights up before Thanksgiving.  After the holiday though, I asked the kids if they were ready to put up the tree.  Shockingly, Joe said, "Mom, why don't we wait until December?  We don't want to have it up too early..."  When I pointed out that we were actually not stepping on any other holidays and that Christmas was the NEXT holiday, Joe was already bringing up the Christmas decorations!
I have decided again to NOT put up my beloved Dept. 56 villages.  I'm tempted to put up my Christmas in the City, but fear that my North Pole village will be too tempting for Sean (who still has a bit of terrible two left in him).  Joe pulled up all the decorations for our front (living room) Christmas tree (or MY tree) and I got to work stringing it with white lights.  I took the advice of Pinterest on both of my trees and strung them top to bottom (instead of round and round) and it was SO much better!  I started to hang my red and gold bulbs and Joe just looked and me (kind of like a sad puppy).  I asked him if he wanted to help and he nodded.  I gave him a few simple instructions and he was off and the two of us had a ball decorating the tree.
The next day it was time to get the rest of the gang in on the holiday spirit.  Jeff and I turned on some Christmas music, plopped ourselves in the love seat, and enjoyed the show of watching the kids decorate.  They've really gotten quite good at spacing out the decorations.  I remember the year all the decorations were only at the height of the kids, which brought back fun memories.  I also laughed a little thinking of last year when Sean decorated the tree with boxes!  This was the year we just sat back and watched.  The kids chatted away and because I had my camera with me, often came by for me to take a picture with an ornament (such hams).
 As for Seany, he was still interested in boxes (not hanging ornaments).  He would pull paper out of boxes, and stuff it back in, pull it out, stuff it in (again... and again... and again...). I'm wondering if he's a bit OCD.  When he finally DID stop, he found one of those lovely (dripping sarcasm there) ornaments that sings, so we heard that song over... and over... and over... I made a mental note that it would be the one ornament I moved this year, but I didn't have to.  Apparently it bugged the Bigs too and later is was further up the tree (a little too high for Seany's eager fingers!).

I was proud of their finished product and how well they got along.  I had hoped for another picture of the four of them, but as I said, Sean still has a bit of terrible in him.  We'll see what happens next year!  I took a ton of pictures/ videos so put together a little video to further document the day.  As I continue to blog, I treasure more and more the memories of years past.  Here's to another memory making experience in the lives of the Dorans!

Comments

  1. I remember Sean last year with the boxes, it was so adorable. Your trees look lovely and how nice to have Joe help you with your tree.
    I think you are right about keeping your village packed up, why take the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!