2012 Election
My Dear Joey, Ali Jane, Goose and Sean,
I love that I have this blog to communicate to you and it has been fun (now that the Bigs are old enough to really dig into OUR history) to listen to you read your story and chuckle along to some of the fun things you've done. I realized that I wrote about the election four years ago (when I first started this blogging thing) and thought I should write about the one we just had.
So here we are in 2012 and President Barack Obama has been elected for another term. You were all quite funny last night as we talked a bit about the election. You each were able to tell us who your friends were voting for (but of course you Ali correctly pointed out that your friends can't vote until they're 18) and you each were rooting for one of the candidates (the same one) which was funny for me. You would watch as some of the states lit up and you'd cheer, or you'd sigh. It was during this time that we had a good talk and it is a lesson that I hope you will remember. In case you don't, I am writing it down for you to reread again and again...
Anyone who gets in the race to become president of this country, loves this country. They would be absolutely crazy to run if they didn't (and yes, some crazy people will say that the candidate they didn't vote for was crazy... but they're not). Being president is a big job and one that I would never want for myself, and after this election would never want for you. I don't know if it is just in recent years or since social media (things like facebook and email), but the political season (which lasts way too long for my taste) has taken an ugly turn. Your dad and I got hateful emails (he was good at fact checking and responding) about the candidates and there were people that I know on facebook that posted some really mean things that, to be quite honest with you, made me change the way I think about them a little. I kind of wish I never knew the hateful things people feel about anyone. It is ugly. And sad.
So... I am going to quote one of my FAVORITE verses from the Bible again to you in this letter (I told you this last night and reminded you this morning before you went to school) because I think it is great advice. "Be quick to listen and slow to speak." I actually had that posted in my third grade classroom years back. I am a very passionate person (and I sure saw your passion last night), but I hope that you will always pause and think about what your words will make someone think and feel. Choose your words wisely. Your great Grandpa Jonasen was a pro at this. I would ask him something and he'd pause and really think about his words before responding. There is nothing wrong with that. We said and did things with love and respect. It is a lesson that I am afraid to say that many people have forgotten about (though I sure wish they hadn't).
So think about what you say. Think about what you write. You may not think it hurts someone but I promise you that all your actions and words help mold and shape what others think of you and I want them to see you the way I see you~ as respectful and wonderful, sweet children (well... most of the time~ wink).
Ali, today you told me that boy that likes you and talks to you all the time was saying some mean things to Cate because her candidate lost and while you agreed with that boy, you quietly put your finger to your mouth to ask him to stop. He did. You told me this story and my heart just swelled and burst with pride. You didn't stand by and listen (though you may have agreed) you did something. You my dear are learning grace... now I may need you to teach it to some adults I know.
So, as Americans it is time for all of us (whether our candidate won or lost) to try to get along and compromise and make this world a better place. I said I don't want any of you ever running for president, but then again I think that you are all proving yourselves to be some great leaders in your own right... well... maybe except for Sean... He's still got a little "terrible" in him and this blog could hurt his chances in any elections in the future.
I love you all (more),
~Mom
PS. I also hope that you will ALWAYS research every candidate (don't just listen to ads) and never vote straight party lines. You saw your dad pouring over information for hours before we voted last week. ALWAYS vote because it is your right, but ONLY vote when you truly know where someone stands on an issue. Therefore, I am telling you that once you hit 18, every four years you're going to have some research on your hands, but don't worry... being an informed voter is the only way to be!

Wonderful advice for your children. I have a feeling we are not on the same page when it comes to voting but I respect your choice either way. ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteI came across a post today that I thought was excellent. http://www.growinghomeblog.com/2012/11/how-america-can-win-her-freedom-back.html
Thanks Debby!
DeleteI love and respect how you wrote this without badgering anyone , we need more parents that do the same I had to log off face book in angry and posted something briefly on the issue. Glad it's over and I'm glad to know some people really teach their children with <3 instead of hate thanks your kids are lucky to have you Laura .
ReplyDeleteThanks Brenda. There have been times when I was really frustrated with some of the things I read but then it was like I took a time out (and to be honest hid a lot of the offenders). Still so proud of Ali Jane. Thanks for the compliment! :-)
DeleteAmazing
ReplyDeletePerfect words of wisdom!
ReplyDeleteThanks! :-)
DeleteGreat blog entry, Laura! I'm proud of you and hope others will take the time to read it! Well said!
ReplyDeleteI hope I can teach my children as gracefully as you.
ReplyDeleteLaura-you are a wonderful mom and person:-). I admire all you do and say as you guide your children through life...amazing!!
ReplyDeleteFantastic, Laura...I wish I had a way with words like you do! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's just small minds with big mouths
ReplyDeleteYes, everyone can have strong opinions on all this election stuff, but no one is absolutely right so it's wrong to tell them they're wrong, especially when it's completely disrespectful. I can't imagine the things young kids say today. Fb has definitely made things a lot tougher, harsher, more crude.. young people today have to have thicker skin than we did I think. Makes me worry about my kids' future and social media in their life (whole other topic though)!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog post Laura.
ReplyDeleteVery nice post laura :) and @ Cindy...agree the social media is something to contend with
ReplyDeleteCouldn't agree more, Laura. I know I previously used some pretty harsh language when talking about certain candidates (Sarah Palin comes to mind...), but now try really hard to stick to the facts and leave the personal attacks out of it. Anyone running for President certainly loves this country and wants what's best for it, just as anyone running for President is also someone's child (and mother/father) who deserves respect.
ReplyDeleteWonderfully put Laura!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog!!! I, too couldn't believe some of the things people said:( and I heard some of the worst comments from the school kids:(
ReplyDelete