Soccer Saturdays


 Our Saturdays have become devoted to soccer this fall which has been just fine because we have had such lovely weather.  I remember last year it rained and was so cold nearly every game, that I wasn't quite looking forward to this season... that and... well... the Doran kids aren't super aggressive and it could be frustrating to watch.  This summer though they took a soccer workshop and much to the delight of their dad (who played soccer in college), they had a blast and started wanting to play in the yard.
 Joe actually got quite good and his ball handling skills were impressive (even for someone like me who knows nothing about the game).  The way he stops and turns the ball is shocking to me.  It's like he woke up and decided to play.  He still prefers defense though did have some fun scoring goals this summer.
 On Saturday, Joe learned that he would get to play goalie, and man was he excited about that!  The thing is that Joe's team isn't too good... they are smaller than most of the teams and don't have too much speed.  It was amazing how many shots they took on Joe!  A few got by him (usually above his head and into the corner net), but he did a great job defending and had a TON of saves.  I wish I would have kept count, but I was busy taking pictures.
 Unfortunately, we had dentist appointments that morning so Joe and I headed to the Dr., while Jeff took Al to her game and then we swapped.  Joe got to pick who came to his game and he chose me (which ended up being a good thing because I got TONS of pictures).
It was FREEZING, the wind was blowing and my fingers were numb, but I kept clicking away anyway.  The boys were short some players but played with so much heart~ perhaps the best I have seen them.  Joe's coach has done a wonderful job with the boys and they have really improved this season.  Joe regularly wants to go have 'a kick' (is that like having 'a catch'?) with his dad, which I know means the world to him.  HERE is a video of some of the other pictures I took that day (I actually filled up an entire memory card... I love my new camera).

Comments

  1. Busy times in your house. Sports are so awesome for the kids! Soccer is great exercise too. Bet they sleep well at night.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!