Sean (TIME OUT!)
My folks' took the three Bigs to see the Smurf Movie and so Jeff and I had a day with just one child at home (I can't remember the last time that happened). We went shopping for my brother's birthday and then out to lunch.
We weren't quite sure how Sean would do not having a nap but he was great. Many in the restaurant where we had lunch were looking over at him and smiling. I don't know if it was when he sat down and immediately folded his hands to pray or when he started to dip his grapes in ranch dressing (ewwww...). He was picture perfect and we had a wonderful afternoon. We are now home and Sean is sleeping, Jeff is reading and so I am finally getting around to an update on that littlest Doran!
There is so much to say about Sean so I decided to tackle one 'current event' (or events) of sorts to write about.
It is hard to believe that in just a couple months, Sean will be two. He is reaching that 'terrible' stage that I think wasn't too bad with the others... but then again perhaps raising children is like childbirth- with time those painful moments lose their sting.
We have begun the 'Time-Outs' with Sean. I forgot how hard this part of parenting is. I have vivid memories of attempting Time-Outs with Ali Jane- doing just what Super Nanny told me to do. I would bring her right back to our Time-Out Bench and pray she's stay. She never did! We did this again and again and again and I really did think that I may slip and instead of putting her little behind back in that bench, I would slip and throw her out the window.
Thankfully at that time, a young Joe (maybe 3) intervened watching this back-forth with the two women in his life and said, "Ali Jane TIME OUT!" and darned if she didn't walk right over pouting and plop her little behind on that bench. I looked at him with my mouth open wondering how the heck he did that!
I thought maybe like Z is the "dog whisperer", perhaps Joe is the "kid whisperer" I've had him try it with Sean without much luck. We say "Time Out, No (fill in the blank)" in a firm voice, plop his behind on the bench and two seconds later he is running and laughing trying to get away and we quietly put him back again. And so this continues again and again, much like it did with his big sis.
Sean's main offense is hitting! I don't recall any of our kids hitting like Sean does. He'll hit them, us, his toys, the floor... He also loves to terrorize the dogs~ running after them, wrestling them to the ground and pulling their tails. We've tried all tones of voice including saying "Niiiice." in a sweet voice, taking his hand and trying to get him to pet the dogs nicely but that never seems to last long.
I have at times felt at the end of my rope and wondered if this would be the kid WE would hit! But alas, something clicked over and Sean finally is getting the whole time out thing (as best a child not-yet-two can).
My mouth about hit the floor when yesterday he not only stayed in his Time-Out but after he was done, walked to Joe (who he had hit) and petted him nicely saying, "nice". We all looked at each other and just started laughing!
I've been a mom to a few other interesting personalities so I will not get my hopes up. I've been that disappointed mom who after a few nights of uninterrupted sleep didn't understand why suddenly the babe was getting up again. I know that soon (perhaps even later tonight) Sean will probably try to swat someone (or something) and because we don't allow hitting, I'll probably be back to those Super Nanny days I had with Ali Jane... but you never know, perhaps Sean will be our genius- a fast learner. Ya right! I've been here and done that so for now I'll just hold my breath a lot, pray, and look to Joe for some help.
And now, a short video of typical Sean. We sometimes call him "Frank" short for "Frank the Tank" because he loves his food. If we can't find him, we know we'll probably find him at the table where he'll look to us, smile and say, "Amen" which in his not-yet-two-year-old mind means, FEED ME! He recently learned how to get in his seat all by himself so now the high chair is gone and we are a family with just booster seats! One more step to baby freedom!
Jeff says Sean reminds him a lot of a little Z. Perhaps it isn't just his chubby little frame, curly blond hair and piercing baby blues! I laugh because we have a very similar video of a young Zach (here). I certainly see the similarities!
I never did time out with my children. Believe me my daughter was not easy!!! I just adore these posts. Sean is just a doll. Amen! Okay, now I'm going to eat Friday night pizza.
ReplyDelete