Grandma's Package and Parties!


Saturday night, Jeff told me he saw a box outside which could mean one thing... GRANDMA'S PACKAGE! Jeff's mom lives over an hour away so sends the cutest care packages to the kids when she is unable to be with them. Because it was late, I suggested he wait until Sunday to give it to them. Unfortunately (for me) I came down with a horrible cold and while (for some stupid reason) I went out to take the three Bigs to Sunday School solo (Jeff was playing guitar), when I got home I put Sean in bed and then myself in bed. When Jeff got home from church he checked on me and I asked him to make sure he took some pics of the kids with Grandma's special package. Well, he took two- Needless to say I could hear the squeals of delight from up in my room and later heard the lovely sound of whistles (and yes that would be a hint of sarcasm in my hoarse voice). I am sad that I missed them opening the package and because I wasn't there, I don't think that the Bigs have actually called Grandma yet to thank her... though I did suggest it...

Today (Monday) was Valentine's Day and I was so excited because my school party was on Friday. This meant I could take a 1/2 day personal day to go to the Bigs' school. The only problem is that again I felt miserable. My nose was like a faucet and my cough wouldn't let up. I stayed for most of Ali Jane's party and snapped a picture of myself to prove to Ali that I made it to a school event! Joe's party came next- but after about a half hour I knew I had to leave. I was shaking and shivering and when I took my temp I had a 101.7 fever. Thankfully I stayed away from others and coughed into my elbow. Seeing 25% of my class was gone today, I have a feeling something is going around.
Despite feeling crummy, it was such fun being a 'mom' at the parties. I was able to stand back, watch and snap pictures. I got to see all the little friends Ali Jane talks about day in and day out and see her wonderful teacher (and my former coworker). I missed the beginning of the party because I only took a half day but I did get to see Al make a crown, eat some snack, play a game, sing some songs and open Valentines (Makes me wonder what they did in the 40 minutes BEFORE I got there)!
The kids were able to look at their Valentine's for a moment and Ali Jane went through each and every one. She would comment on how 'adorable' each one was and say how much she 'absolutely loved it!' Even when I was student teaching I remember the Valentine's Day Party being my favorite just for the reaction of the kids opening their cards.

When Ali's party was over, I had about 20 minutes before Joe's would begin so I ran to put gas in the car (feeling that if I were to go home, I may not make it back out). In that time I used about 20 Kleenexes and was beginning to feel worse. Still, I told Joe I'd be there, so I went! My favorite part of Joe's party was when he gave his teacher the special Valentine he made her. She wowed over it and you could see his little face just light up!
I sat on a chair and watched as Joe passed out Valentines, made a picture frame and had some snack. He was very sweet and totally understood when I told him I thought I needed to go home and go to bed (he told me he's been praying for me and had his friends at church pray for me, too)! When the love potion juice he drank (cherry 7-up, vanilla ice cream and a licorice straw) didn't even sound good, I knew I was in trouble.
I got home, put on extra clothes and climbed into bed shivering. When I woke up, Jeff brought me a Valentine, a Twix bar (this is how we do Valentine's Day), and three blankets. The card was so sweet and he his note was so precious but I knew better than to wrap my arms around him so had nothing else to give him but a smile. He got the Bigs off the bus and then was off to get the Littles. Of course the Bigs came running upstairs and again went through each and every one of their Valentines for me... After another nap, I feel well-rested and am off to make sub plans for tomorrow. I better get busy, my meds are due to wear off in about an hour... I am hopng to get my fever under 100 (without meds would be nice) Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments

  1. It sounds like you guys have had a very busy holiday. I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY for getting to be a mom at their class parties!!!! I know that's one of the hardest parts about being a teacher. FEEL BETTER lady...moms and teachers aren't allowed to be sick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry your feeling so bad but I'm glad you got to participate in their parties. I know that having you there was a big deal to them. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!