

The school district where I work (and where my kids attend) is notorious for calling snow days at the last possible moment (or at least I think so...), so I was SHOCKED when -before the final bell rang on Tuesday- we were told that there would be no school on Wednesday! Weathermen were predicting up to a foot of snow (and to be honest- I was very excited about so much snow coming our way).

We didn't have to sleep with our pajamas inside out or flush ice cubes down the toilet- but perhaps we should have... the 'blizzard' we were told about wasn't quite the 'blizzard' I had expected. Sure we got some snow (7.6 inches in our city), and the roads on the news this morning looked horrible, but I would have liked to see a few more inches.

In the end I don't think the kids minded. Snow is snow and they had a blast just being outside. I had left my snow pants at my folks' (from our last ice-skating adventure) but one of the best things about my kids getting older is that I don't have to be right next to them at every moment!

They played in the backyard and though I did go out and snap some pics (before they decided to attack me with snow), I spent most of the day inside watching them from the warmth of our home while I cleaned,
Seany slept and Jeff worked on his Thesis.

When the kids came back in, I counted one more... Joe's neighbor friend found the kids outside and so they were all playing together. He joined our gang (what's one more really...) and the boys had a great time playing trains. Ali Jane wanted to play with them but trains must not have sounded fun to her so she read some Highlights and worked out some puzzles.

She was glad when the boys finally stopped playing trains and decided to watch a movie. I popped some corn and they all decided to watch, "The Secret of
Nimh," which is a movie based on a favorite book I read when I was in Elementary school. I thought it was a bit scary, but Joe's friend had seen it and so (apparently) had the
Bigs (with daddy). Maybe I am just a wimp. The scary movies I remember from my childhood (Wizard of Oz, Star Wars...) don't seem to be scary at all to my kiddos! And they haven't seen a lot of TV or movies so it's not like they have been too desensitised...

After Joe's buddy went home, we ended our evening with a wonderful family dinner. Afterward,
Seany watched as we all played
Wii games (I think he looks ready to get into the action). It was a great day- one that for Jeff (at least) will be repeated tomorrow. That's right, his district has called for another snow day. IF we have another, I'm sure I'll get a lovely call at 5am...
Hah! I wondered if all those pre-emptive school closings were going to end up being a little overboard. Oh well-it looks like you guys had fun!
ReplyDeleteI don't think it was as bad as they thought it would be. We didn't get much at all but most of it was north of us. I'm glad they all had fun playing in the snow!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fun day for the kids and how nice to be able to watch from inside the house.
ReplyDeleteHad a great laugh with Sean, he does look ready!