Ali's Last (ever?) Recital
Ok. So if you read that title~ it kind of sums things up... Ali had kind of a tough year in dance this year. Not physically~ she shined on stage and did well but... She really struggled with one of the teachers (not necessarily how she treated Ali but people in general) and being moved up to dance with new dancers for the second year was nice but she wasn't really included in the group. Feeling invisible can be tough.
There were times and events in the season that cemented Ali's choice that "this was it"~ She had (has) countdowns on her mirror with dance and she started to think of all the things that she COULD do if she didn't compete in dance... soccer, the musical, after school activities, Jr Honor Society (which she was made! Yay Ali!). That~ paired with some negative experiences~ had her mind all made up that this was IT! She was done as soon as Nationals was over. This also meant that I was done... and that made me a bit sad because I've come to really like the friends I made at TDS not to mention the joy I receive watching Al perform... But it's not about me so I followed her lead and supported her in whatever decision she chose to make.
Rehearsals were weird. We had this secret that few knew. And when moms came to tell me how much they enjoyed watching her perform, I felt odd- like I was lying to them by not saying anything. I remember Ali Jane's first recital- putting make-up on that sweet little face and struggling with that bun. Here was my girl doing her hair and make-up (minus the fake eyelashes) and going in alone to get set up. She's grown SO much since being at TDS. Not just as a dancer but as a beautiful young lady!
I asked her if she thought she'd be emotional after her last recital and she said she didn't think she would be. She felt like the emotions would really come after Nationals. She felt strongly that she needed to talk to Ms. Lauren (the owner and her favorite teacher) first anyway. Lauren and her wife just had a baby and with recitals she was hard to reach to chat. So Al decided to try to meet up with her sometime prior to Nationals.
I worked the Friday show and then our family came to the matinee on Saturday along with Grandma, Auntie Jodi, and all the Drapals. I know my mom cried watching Ali up there. Uncle Dan and Auntie Steph had to leave after Ali's last number to get to a wedding. Jojo and Lily also came but we didn't get to see them because they had to scoot after the show too. Ali was so happy they were there though.
The show was amazing. They did Peter-Pan and there was flying which was super cool and the dance was top notch- even rec pieces are polished and showcase dancers' strengths. It amazes me how they put this show together to tell the story with dance, singing and acting. It really is a fun performance and one Al and I had talked about coming to see for sure next year.
Realizing that this was really IT~ I put out a text that day to tell some of her friends about the show and see if they could come and I'm glad a few could make it so last minute. Ali was so surprised to see that Ava and her mom and Maddie and her mom came to see her dance! They all said they liked the show too!
When I picked up Al after the final show she was in tears and I knew... it had gotten out. Note to Ali (if you tell ONE, you tell ALL and in her case I believe she had told four). Everyone was crying and hugging (which is typical after a show) but this was different. Most of the hugs were directed at Ali. She had cried in the car a few times driving home from dance recently about the things that she would miss~ but I think after that final recital it really sunk in- that this was it.
She suddenly felt a panic on our drive home because she hadn't told Ms. Lauren yet and she felt she owed it to her and she didn't want her to hear it from anyone else. I calmed her down and told her to send her an email telling her and asking her if they could meet up to talk. She did. Then she asked if I would email her too~ just to be sure she'd see the email. I did.
It's really going to be strange. These girls have been Ali's best friends for so long... spending so many hours at the studio together. Another of her friends has also chosen to quit competition dance but decided to stay on rec. When I talked with Al about that she said her favorite part was performing and she didn't feel like taking all those classes for one recital.
Well~ minds can be changed. Ms. Lauren was incredibly gracious and kind to Ali as she always has been. They were able to meet and they talked and cried and Ali let her know all she has been thinking and feeling (I don't know exactly but that's what Al told me since she and I both agreed this was something she needed to do without her mama). After speaking with Ms. Lauren, she said she'd love to see her on stage in the musicals and was very supportive of her decision. She did tell her if she ever did want to take rec dances, she'd love to have her but didn't want to pressure her to do so. Lauren has alwasy said how much she cares for Ali and we both believe this is genuine and the feelings go both ways. After their talk, I do believe that this wasn't Ali's LAST recital with TDS (though I DO believe it was her last as a competitive dancer) but as I've learned~ time will tell. She still has dance workshops and Nationals to get through. I do know that there are many who are pulling for her to stay- even if just for a couple classes (secretly... I'm in that club too). So thankful for the years my girl spent growing up on the stage. She was brilliant and beautiful and I will be forever proud of my tiny little dancer. And just like then- I still can't wait to see what lies ahead for this sweet young lady! Proud of you, Al!



Comments
Post a Comment
I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!