The Old Man's Adventure... (sigh)
WHAT A DAY! I was home with Sean today so got the kids on the bus. Pele' wanted to go out with them, but I knew he'd follow them, so I pulled him inside and watched from the window as the Bigs got on the bus. I had my shoes on because I was getting on the treadmill- but no coat of course. I say this because in the past, when I get my shoes on, Pele' gets REALLY excited because he thinks he's going on a walk. We haven't walked lately because of the cold but mostly because it's hard for him to walk in the big snowbanks and we don't have sidewalks. I figured since I didn't have a coat on, he'd know I wasn't really going anywhere.
So about five minutes after the kids left out the front door, Pele' went to the back door to go outside. I didn't think much of it and let him out. He doesn't go far in his old age (often with this snow he doesn't even leave the deck). Anyway, it had been a good five minutes and no Pele'~ so I walked out in my tank top (brrrr) to look for him (calling isn't an option since he doesn't hear well- though I called anyway).
He was nowhere!!!
I panicked and Sean threw on his shoes and coat. I had him buckle himself in (yeah that he can do that) and we were off in the car looking for Pele'. I was in a panic and I think Sean was a little worried too. He had just told me yesterday that he wanted to go to heaven because he missed Cobi.
I called Jeff and he was able to answer and didn't know what to do. Pele' was NOT anywhere on our normal route (which I thought for sure was where he would go). I started to worry because I know he couldn't go far. He lasts only a mile with me and sometimes I have to pick him up and carry him because his legs will sometimes give out. Plus it was COLD (though I didn't feel it- adrenaline??)
I kept driving around the neighborhood and I didn't see anything!
I was really starting to worry when a number showed up on my phone that I didn't recognize. I think I answered it, "Hello? By chance do you have my dog?" SHE DID!!! She was actually at the end of the street where my Nana lives and I was about a minute away. I thanked her profusely and didn't know if I should hug Pele' or kill him!
He was warming up in her car but shaking like a leaf! She kept talking about how sweet he was and how she had tried to give him water but he seemed so scared! I gave her a huge hug (in my workout clothes, messy pony and unbrushed teeth) and let her go on her way. It occurred to me later that I should have given her more! But of course I'm always cash poor and didn't think of it until later.
Pele didn't go out at all the rest of the day (he didn't even ask). He slept A LOT finding the sun places in the house in the rooms where Sean and I were. I was exhausted and just wanted to sleep too (but with Sean, I couldn't. That kid never sleeps anymore!!).
What I didn't find out until later was that the kids knew Pele' was out! The bus had to stop for him and one of the kids on the bus said, "HIT THAT DOG!!" and laughed which really upset them (it upset me too... little punk!). Had I known they knew, I would have emailed their teachers to let them know he was OK.
Needless to say, Pele' now is ALWAYS on leash when he goes outside. No more freedom for the old man. He went the opposite way from where I thought he would. I would like to think that he has learned his lesson but I've heard you can't teach an old dog... and an old dog he is!
We are just treasuring all the time we have left with him. He may be part cat. This dog sure has proven he's had a lot of lives!
And to the wonderful woman out there in the white GMC that saved our firstborn... I will never be able to thank her enough! I don't think she realized what she did or how much it meant to all of us! As much as that dog can drive me crazy, he's part of our family and a part that I hope stays for much, MUCH longer.
What a terrible scare. Had that happen once with one of our dogs and now I'm afraid I am way over protective of our little girl Skye. So glad you got the phone call and that he is okay. (That kid on the bus made me so angry)
ReplyDelete