Tap with Gregg Russell


 Ali was so excited to have the opportunity to take a Master Tap Class with Gregg Russell who is a well-known and awesome tapper.  Ali has an amazing tap teacher and along with learning steps and combinations, she has also learned a lot about the history of tap.  Ali had watched a lot of Gregg Russell's videos and knew quite a bit about him so to have the opportunity to take a class with him was a bit surreal for her.
Although the kids were allowed to wear more hip-hop type clothing, Ali felt more comfortable in her studio dress code (hair in bun- solid leo).  Ali is a girl who likes to know what is expected of her~ listens intently and practices.  When I catch her dancing in her room and just letting go, it is the best (though I didn't think she'd do that in the class).  She was definitely nervous!
It was fun to be able to watch her and how after a few goes she was able to pick up what he was doing.  It really made me long for some tap shoes of my own (and I am serious about that).  It's been so long since I've tapped (in places other than the grocery store and stage at church~ when I'm there singing and shaking my tambourine!).
 Ali is certainly the kind of child who takes things in.  She's a good listener but doesn't often jump in, ask questions... that sort of thing.  At the end of the class they did some improv tapping and I was so proud of Ali!  The kids were in a circle and then Gregg went to each of them and danced and then they danced back.  Ali did GREAT and I was so proud of her.  They also had a tap jam where when they felt like it, they went into the middle of the circle and tapped.  I was praying Ali would do it because I KNEW she'd have fun but was worried she wouldn't because she can be so reserved... well she DID it and I was so proud of her having the courage to do so that I felt like crying!
They also had a Q & A session where we got to learn more about Gregg Russell~ his time working with Michael Jackson, Reba McIntyre and even Gene Kelly (how cool is that?!).  On the way home, Ali couldn't stop talking about the experience and told me all about it (even though I was in the room and able to observe.
Ali is still a girl who practices the combinations that she is taught by her beloved teacher but I do hope to see her doing more improv type things with her tapping and just playing on her own.  The tap shoes are definitely getting a workout now that she has her board~ even sometimes paired with PJs!
Below is a cool video of Gregg Russell tapping in case you want to check it out!

Comments

  1. I'm so happy that Ali was able to go and meet him. What a special time for her and so glad she participated in the circle too! Thanks for sharing the video, he is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!