My Date with the Bigs!
On Black Friday when everyone was shopping, we were hitting the roads too, but to do something FUN! PAINT!! I mentioned a while back that for Jodi's birthday we did "Painting with a Twist" (and I'm actually going there for a party tomorrow too). I found out that they have 'family days' and thought it would be fun for my little artists!
Now Joe has always loved to sketch and draw (mostly comic type things). He has a great way of catching facial expressions in the characters he draws. I was curious how he would do with following directions from a teacher in art class. He actually did really well but I LOVED that I still saw some of 'Joey' in his painting. He certainly made it his own which is what makes this place fun! All the paintings look similar but each is unique in its own way!
Ali too, was just like I would expect her to be. Unfortunately, she can be a bit of a perfectionist (wonder where she gets that from...) and she hasn't been enjoying her school art class at all this year, which is why I thought we should try this. My hope was that she would learn that all art turns out different, but it's all still really cool.
Both Joe and Ali had moments when they got frustrated, but they learned that the cool thing about painting is if you don't like something, you can paint it over again (except the eyes... it would have taken a long time for that black to paint and be able to put a fresh coat of white on it... I loved Joey's eyes though!).
I have to admit, that Ali was driving me a bit nuts with her painting at times. She'd try something and get upset because she didn't like the way it turned out. For a while though, she was happy and having fun. And both Bigs said they'd want to do it again! Ali liked her final product so maybe this was good for her!
Zach didn't come because they recommended the class for ages 8 and up. I love the way our paintings turned out and hung all three in our dining room for the holidays! I really hope we can go and do more seasonal stuff. Maybe this can be a new tradition!
On a side note, after we were done painting, we hit Costco and Target looking for new coats for the Bigs. While Ali was trying on coats in Target, she put the coat she was wearing (a cute, pink wool number) in a cart (only we didn't HAVE a cart!)! Sadly, the coat still hasn't been found (or returned). Ali did get a new coat (mostly because she REALLY needed one since she couldn't go out in the cold). All in all it was a great way to spend a day (minus the coat biz)!


They turned out so cute!
ReplyDelete