Happy Thanksgiving
This year we had Thanksgiving with the Drapals. After the run, I came home and sat for a bit and took a shower that probably lasted a good 15 minutes! After that, I made some sweet potato balls (a recipe from my Nan~ that I just 'wing' every year) and then I was off to pick her up. She was in good spirits and I told her about my run (and reminded her she was 95) often on the way to my parents'. She was impressed with both things each time I told her... :-)
When we got there, Dan and Steph were already there and the cousins were excited to see each other. Right away Maddy and Al broke off and started playing and the boys all started doing laps (or so it seemed) and having fun. The house was loud around us while we watched the Lions WIN (yes... WIN!). We also got to see my high school band play during the half time show which was really cool!
Sitting all that time made my legs really sore (or maybe they would have been sore whether I sat or stood). I took some meds, but was really hurting. My mom did most of the work (I LOVE YOU MOM) and I spent time with my Nan (which I don't think my mom minded). We actually put on a movie for the kids after dinner and my Nan cuddled with Goosie the whole time! She had such a great time and it is a bit sad that I know she has no memory of it at all now.
Another highlight for me was when Joe played the piano for her (he's getting quite good). She mentioned a few times how Artie would have LOVED to hear him play! I told her that he could probably hear him... It was sweet to me hearing her talk about my Grandpa since I don't hear it often. Of course not everyone heard because you know what turkey can do to a person... Everyone fell asleep!
While the grown-ups were sleeping (most of them), my mom served dessert to the kiddos. We were all so stuffed I don't know if we could have fit any dessert in us. We agreed that it was one of the best Thanksgiving dinners we've ever had! My dad mentioned the gravy so much that he was starting to sound like my Nan (on repeat).
Near the end of the night, I knew I wouldn't be able to get my Nan home (I knew it was going to be hard for me to get ME home). We were the first to leave (to get to the dogs and also to get me to bed). My mom drove my Nan home and I think she'd agree that Nan had a great time!
It was another holiday to remember. We talked about my Grandpa Jonasen a few times it seemed, which I liked. I always thought of Thanksgiving as being a holiday we spent with the Jonasens and I remember how hard it was for me that first Thanksgiving without him. It felt like he was there again... through Joey's playing, Nan's memory of him and just the warm feeling you get from being together. I feel blessed (and also really sore... no treadmill for me on Black Friday).

I use to make those balls, are they rolled in honey and cornflakes? Sounds like you had a wonderful day and yes napping is part of all turkey meals! Glad your Nan had a nice day too.
ReplyDelete