Daddy/ Daughter Weekend!
My dad has talked with me about having a daddy/ daughter weekend with his friend (Don) and his daughters (Jennifer and Shannon) FOREVER! The problem was that I was pregnant (or nursing) FOREVER (or at least I was when he last mentioned it). I was so excited that we finally made it happen!! My dad and Don (and actually Shannon too) are Michigan Alums so we decided to go to the Michigan v. Michigan State game.
The five of us met at a local hotel to stay the night before the game. We had fun catching up at happy hour at the hotel and then hit a restaurant for some food. One of Shannon's coworkers met up with us too. After dinner we went back to the hotel and us girls chatted in our room. The next morning we had a yummy breakfast and went to catch the alumni bus to East Lansing.
It had been years since I had been to MSU (and when I say 'years' I mean probably close to 20). None of us really knew where we were going once we got off the bus, but we were all bundled up and ready to check things out before the game. When I say "bundled up," I mean I had on two pair of pants, two pair of of socks, 3 shirts, my dad's heavy jacket, my hood and a scarf.
We knew we wanted to hit Grand River, but we didn't know where Grand River was. We kept asking people where we should be going and they all pretty much said the same thing, "Straight Ahead." We walked for a while and I loved seeing all the people and the excitement of game day! I know for my dad (and many Michigan people) the biggest rivalry is OSU, but for MSU this may be their big game of the year.
Right before we hit Grand River, Don said he wanted to go back toward the stadium so we split up. That was about the time when the sky started to spit and then finally just plain rain. My dad and I made it into a a place just in time to dry out and get some food (and beverages) in us.
We each got a beer and some soup and we split a sandwich. The food was great and so was the service. I believe the name of the place we went to was Spencer's but, like my Nan, I have a great memory... it's just short!
I do remember that while we were having our second drink, a couple came in from out of the rain and stood at the bar next to us. We started making small talk and realized that it was a small world.
It turned out that the guy's step-dad and my dad worked together long ago. The guy also happened to be a WMU grad (like me) though he graduated well after I did. As we got to talking, it came out that I was a teacher (and my dad they knew was retired from schools). To make a long story shorter, they bought us some shots and ended up picking up our entire bill! What a treat! The gal said that they were doing really well in their field and they just really respected what we do. She said I wasn't paid enough or respected enough. I felt so appreciated!! We walked and talked with them back toward the stadium. I felt like I could have been friends with them!
It was great to see the Hadleys again even though it was soooo cold. Thankfully Shannon had brought hand-warmers for everyone though I don't think that anything could have really kept me warm! I hit the bathroom at one point during the game and the line was VERY long. I was listening to the conversations of the college girls around me and suddenly felt really old (the first time this has ever happened) and then realized that I was their age 20 years ago (gulp). How does that happen when I still feel 22?
We braved the game even though both the weather and the game were horrible. Michigan played absolutely awful and lost BIG. I am not a State fan at all so was bummed that Michigan lost. Being the product of a Wolverine and a Buckeye, I stayed away from Big 10 schools (Go Broncos!)!
After the game, we found a shuttle and made it back to the bus (after being lost for a while). We weren't as happy on the way home, but we did have a great time! I was still shivering when I got in bed and I'm sure Jeff was thrilled to have me back (as I placed my cold feet and hands on him). I'm still cold thinking about that game.
There WILL be another Daddy/Daughter date (hopefully next year). I believe the dads want to go to State again, but I'd be OK with something earlier in the season (perhaps when the odds of having some sun are a little higher). But where they go, I will follow. No more babies or nursing for this gal! Thanks Dad (and Hadleys) for a GREAT time!



Wish the weather would have been better for you. How nice to have a Daughter/Dads weekend, looks like you had a nice time. I was cold just watching you!
ReplyDelete