Big Boys at the Big Leagues
The actual Fourth of July was a beautiful day. We began some work in our kitchen and realized that the island was not plumb so we gave up and headed to the lake. I can tell you now that the problem has been fixed, but at the time we were very upset and frustrated. We joined my brother and his family at the lake and drank in the sun. My mood turned around when I spoke to my beautiful cousin, Nicole (who was recently engaged), about her upcoming trip to see us. Jeff drank (and probably got a little dehydrated in the sun too... not good mixes for him).
Jeff and I were supposed to take the boys to the Tiger game but it soon became clear that Jeff would not be making the game. I was really upset (apologies have since been given~ as has forgiveness). So my dad joined me and we were off. I never drive downtown but my dad's eyes aren't the best and it had begun to rain (well... downpour). At one point all of my passengers had fallen asleep as I gripped the wheel at 10 and 2 and said some prayers. I did some hydroplaning when I went over a lake I didn't see at the Bagley exit, but thankfully we made it there alive.
The game was delayed an hour and a half so we sat at the meters and waited a bit trying to decide if we should stay or go. In the end, we decided to go and see what happened. The sky looked menacing, but it did blow over and soon the Tigers were ready to PLAY BALL!
This was a big day for me because I taught Joe how to keep score. For as long as I can remember, I've been going to Tiger's games with my dad and we'd bring three bucks~ one for a water, one for peanuts and one for a scorecard (the first two sold outside the stadium). My dad always keeps score at games and I think it also makes the games that much more enjoyable.
It was a great game that we ended up winning and Joe did an awesome job keeping score! It didn't take him long to memorize all the position numbers (I think it can be tricky remembering to skip over short) and even added up hits and runs on most innings. I was proud of him and he said he'd definitely like to keep score again!
I thought that the Goose was cooked a few times, but eating ball park garbage kept him in his seat... (that and the promise of fireworks later in the night). I thought that maybe they'd be "fireworked out" by the time we hit the fourth, but I guess you never do get sick of them!
By the time the fireworks were over, the announcer who usually says, "Goodnight Detroit" said and "Good Morning Detroit" because it was well after midnight. I drove everyone home and despite the stress and sun of the day I wasn't tired at all. I think good days and making good memories does that to you~ fills you up!



Sorry Jeff couldn't go but it sounds like it was a fun evening. Extra time with your dad is always a plus.
ReplyDelete