

A week ago (I am so late keeping up on this blog and hope to do an entry a night to catch up now that I am off school for a week... YEAH!), we went to a Whaler's hockey game. I don't really understand levels in hockey but these guys seemed pretty good and the best part for me (Ms. Frugal) is that it was FREE! My dad's buddy got tickets for my folks and all six of us, so it was a great night out.

The kids LOVED the game and I was worried for a second that Joe might decide he wanted to play hockey (he loves playing on the ice at my folks' house and was VERY into the game). Thankfully there was a fight and I think that secured in Joe's mind that he will be a wonderful watcher of hockey, player of baseball (again Ms. Frugal is happy for this choice). During intermissions the boys went and saw the whale mascot (I'm sure he has a name) and overall had a wonderful night.

Ali wasn't too keen on seeing some strange thing in a black suit walking around, so she stuck to the seats during intermissions and loved that Papa got her a pop and popcorn! She has been itching to try out skating but I haven't gotten her a pair of skates yet. I know she would like it, but it has been such a mild winter that it hasn't been high on my priority list. I think all together Jeff has only shoveled twice this entire winter and the snow blower hasn't seen any action at all!

Of course Seany was there too and he was a bit restless (to put it mildly), so we set out to see the sights. Because I know that Jeff is much more into hockey than I, Seany and I went hand in hand and checked out the arena. I love people watching and this was a great place to do just that! There were a lot of younger kids there and at one point in the game some girl asked a guy to prom (which I thought was cute) on the scoreboard. I liked walking the arena... stretching my legs and also being able to see the game and all the people. It was fun walking with Sean because he will keep hold of my hand and we could just go forever...

That is until he looked up, ducked down, screamed, spun around and began to sprint in the other direction so fast that I didn't quite know what was happening. I realized quickly that Sean had seen "the Whale." I can't imagine what this whale guy must have looked like to Sean but it scared the poop right out of him (not literally thankfully). After the run in, he was very happy and content to spend the rest of the game in the safety of my lap and didn't squirm one bit. Because I knew it would be good blog fodder for later, I went back to see if we could get a good photo-op with Sean and the one who would later give him some nightmares... (I do have an evil streak to me). Jeff and I decided that we need to invite this whale guy to other places that would help Seany stay put... stores... church... doctor's...! Hmm... Ms. Frugal may see a great business opportunity for desperate parents in her future... (I told you I had an evil streak!)

That whale is kind of scary looking!
ReplyDeleteI know! We had the shark air swimmer swimming around and I think it brought back scary memories for him. He ran out of the room when he first saw it! ;-)
DeleteSounds like you got some exercise walking around with Sean :) Looks like a fun evening. I've been to a few hockey games back in Chicago years ago.
ReplyDeleteReally a very mild Winter for everyone. I think everyone got double last year!