Turkey Trot 2011


I am a bit behind in my blogging, which is not like me, but when my dad leaves a comment (his first) asking me where the Turkey Trot blog is, I know that I have some typing to do! This was my third Turkey Trot (I took off the year I had Sean because I was still nursing and recovering from that lovely c-section I had...). The Turkey Trot is something I look forward to each year and I love that we have somewhat of a tradition going!
Of course I am NOT a runner! My dad is and to be honest with you... I don't get it. I don't find anything fun about running. He is a marathon runner and even did the Boston Marathon a long time ago when he was a mere 50 (is that right dad?). I don't know that my brother is a "runner", but he does run (and does well at it)... so he and my dad ran the 10k. I remember my dad running the race when we were little and my mom taking my brother, dog and me to downtown Detroit to wait for him. Though I have no memory, I clearly recall my brother (perhaps 3 or 4) needing to use the bathroom badly and with no bathrooms around, we shielded him and he peed on a wall. I remember at the time thinking it was the funniest thing. But I digress...
As I was saying, a runner I am not, but I do love to walk (and talk) and so I take one of my best friends and we do just that... walk and talk! I work with Chrissy and though we are no longer teaching the same grade level, my first graders are buddies with her fifth graders so we do see each other once a week. I loved laughing and catching up with her as we walked! My dad loves Chrissy too as she is a good Catholic (OK, my dad is not such a good Catholic anymore) and her husband and all her boys (four of them) went/go and will go to my dad's high school alma mater.
But we are not the only ones who participated in the trot this year. My sister-in-law of course was there and she meets up with her family and this year my niece and nephew were there, too. They were quite bundled since it was so cold but were cute as can be. I tried to get a picture of them but if you have ever been to a Turkey Trot, it is quite the fun place to people watch. Auntie Laura was not nearly as fun to look at as the Santas, turkeys and reindeer! I did get a good picture of them though and some other fun ones of the city!



There weren't quite as many costumes as I remember in the past which surprised me since the weather was great and perfect for wearing some fun stuff (and there was no shortage of people). Chrissy and I need to be on the look-out for something to wear next year... or something cute to make. My creative juices seem to be draining so thankfully I have another year to think about it!
We walked at a good clip (just under 15 minute miles which was good with all the traffic and people we had to walk around). There were a lot of dogs too (and people stopping to clean up after their dogs... ewwww...). As always it was a great start to another wonderful Thanksgiving and I am happy to announce that the next day when I got on the scale I hadn't gained a pound... Thank you Turkey Trot! See you again next year!

Comments

  1. Now that sounds like a wonderful tradition. Makes me realize how little exercise I get.
    My fingers are pretty skinny!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!