My Inspiration...

Last year I was moved back to first grade after teaching third for quite a while. At first I was very upset (mostly because I knew the work (energy) that went into teaching the littles and it was the ONE grade I asked NOT to be moved to). I was comfortable where I was, loved teaching writing and was going to miss my team... Now in my second year (back) in first grade I am realizing that I have a lot I can do with these little people and what I can teach them (And what they are able to learn amazes me!). As I continue to 'settle' into my new role as a first grade teacher (hoping not to move again soon... especially after spending over a grand last year...), I realize that perhaps my best ideas come off so well because I have some little guinea pigs at home that I can try them out on first.
I am teaching the strategy of visualization- making 'movies in your mind' to help cement comprehension~ and so I chose my daughter's favorite song (which my current class LOVES since I let them listen to it in the morning), and decided to make a lesson around it. I typed out all the lyrics (on separate sheets), and had my first and second graders (aka Al and Joe) illustrate the pages based on the words on the paper. They did a great job and had so much fun. They whipped through the illustrations and they turned out so cute that I turned it into a video (and now plan to do the same thing with my students). I hope you will watch it. It is a great song with a great message. I am thankful my princess is much like the one in this song...
Enjoy!
And to watch it nice and big on You Tube, click HERE.

Comments

  1. You were meant to teach 1st grade. You were an amazing 3rd grade teacher, but I think you were purposely placed by God into your 1st graders lives. You do awesome things with your students.

    Grazia : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO AWESOME. The song made infinitely better by the fantastic illustrations! Go Ali and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again, you are an inspiration to others - parents, student, other teachers, and friends everywhere. :) Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I will have to remember this one. Fun song!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving one!

Popular posts from this blog

So tired...

Saying Goodbye...

It's the Honest Scrap!