Z goes Fishing!

It is a bit crazy to me that my kids have never really gone fishing. Growing up my (Great) Uncle Joe spent HOURS down at our lake catching bluegill that my mom would later fry up for dinner. Perhaps the reason the kids haven't spent time fishing is because they are more into swimming and playing. I was excited when Z decided to go fishing (and not too surprised that he-of all of the kids- was the first to give fishing a go). He loves animals of all kinds from animals at the zoo, dogs and cats, insects and toads. I actually didn't get to see any of Z's first fishing experience (it happened on the 4th of July when I was up in the house with our casted Sean). I did get some of the details from my brother (and pictures from my mom) for the purpose of this blog.
Danny and Z decided to go fishing and the first step was to look for worms. My mom let them dig up a hole in their yard (thanks mom) and my brother found some worms. Zach found another (more interesting) critter (pictured above). He has a knack for finding odd looking caterpillars and other interesting creatures. I was surprised that my brother had to find the worms since I think almost daily Z goes for a worm hunt, carries them around and talks to them for a while before letting them go. My brother got the worm on the hook and he was off to the end of the dock with Z following closely at his heels.
Danny tried to teach Z how to cast but a four year old and a fishing pole with a hook do not always mix (especially our four year old) and so Danny cast it in for Z. It wasn't long before he got a nibble. Z reeled in the fish all by himself and Danny helped him bring him out of the water. I was told that Z was excited and wanted to touch the fish's eyes (which he did often) before throwing him back to his family. What I remember of the day was the odd looking caterpillar (that Z brought up to show me) and him running excitedly up to the house to tell me about the fish (and its eyes) and all I wanted to do was wash his hands for a half hour to get that awful stench off.So Z's little bluegill did not become dinner that night but perhaps one day he'll take after his Great-Great Uncle Joe who I miss terribly... sitting on the edge of a dock in the quiet of nature with nothing but your thoughts sounds a great way to spend a day to me!
Way to go, young vet Z! Maybe you will, indeed, be like your "uncle Joe!" kudos, Laura! My 4 y/o and a fishing pole with a hook probably wouldn't mesh at this point in time! He likes to watch uncle Mike fish, but used to cry and ask him to throw them back in!
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing. Love it!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story. Love the caterpillar. That was a nice catch. So your funny guy just may become a quiet fisherman. That would be a great pastime. I love to fish.
ReplyDelete